The Deputy Director External Affairs, a new position for HC One, will lead communications and marketing efforts as well as participate in external relationship building and fund development. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director External Communications will set and guide the strategy for all marketing and communications, website, external messages and materials to consistently communicate HC One’s mission, strategy and values. They will ensure that HC One is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within our niche and constituent base. They will work closely with other leadership staff within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. This position will lead the efforts to develop and integrate sophisticated communications, storytelling, marketing to build on existing organizational assets. The position will cultivate and strengthen relationships with current partners, including funders as well as generate opportunities for growth of the organization in terms of communications, marketing and fund development. This position can be a remote working set up.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
• Build the organization’s communications strategy in alignment with HC One’s strategic framework
• Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the organization’s audiences in collaboration with HC One’s team and constituents
• Work with the board and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
• Manage media relations, as needed, for purposes of promoting events and/or raising the profile of key policy issues related to HC One mission Building HC One’s Brand Awareness
• Ensure articulation of organizational image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the organization, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external. • Create and launch media campaigns.
• Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
• Engage staff, board members and partners in building messages and content (including a story library) for a variety of communications strategies
• Oversee the management of all media contacts Content Creation • Ensure the development of content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action, including deciding who, where, and when to disseminate.
• Oversee the creation of rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines.
• Oversee the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and HC One’s website
• Oversee webpage maintenance–ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
• Ensure the curation of content and increase audience engagement on HC One’s social media channels
• Ensure communications vehicles are in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities Leadership and Management
• Collaborate with Executive Director and leadership staff, in developing and managing external relationships with philanthropic partners, government entities, advocacy coalitions and other organizations
• Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, and develop qualified personnel, both paid and volunteer
• Effectively enable staff and volunteers so they can take action on behalf of the organization by: o Transmitting the organization’s mission, vision, and values o Engaging people in the meaning of the organization
• Responsible for the achievement of communications department goals and financial objectives.
• Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the communications department and its activities. Monitor progress, assure adherence, evaluate performance and report progress to the ED and Board
• Participate and assist in development functions to meet organizational annual fund development budget, in private and public revenue
• Participate in event-fundraising, corporate engagement and grants management functions, in collaboration with Executive Director and Director of Fund Development
• 5+ years of progressively responsible and successful nonprofit management, external relationships and ideally fund development experience
• Proven track record of building out external relations functions to promote organizational sustainability and growth
• Experience leading and articulating a vision as well as the demonstrated ability to make and execute plans, reach goals
• Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical
• Willingness to commit to HC One’s internal values of nurturing community, equity in practice, acting with integrity, focusing on action
• Education BA required; Master’s degree Preferred • Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently • Relationship builder with the flexibility, openness, and ability to connect with diverse stakeholders and audiences
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships and establishing funding and other partnerships
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, funders/donors, program participants, and other supporters
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Capable leader, manager and coach for staff, board, intern or volunteer talent • Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
• Experience with Wordpress and/or HTML, and with Adobe Creative Suite, preferred
Salary comensurated with experience
Opportunity to work remotely
Learn more about us at http://www.healthconnectone.org