Provide project management in the conduct of primary and secondary research that supports enterprise learning and thought leadership goals, including research design, execution, analysis and strategic dissemination of federal and state anti-hunger and nutrition support programs, legislation, and programs of Feeding America.
- In consultation with relevant national office staff and external technical experts, manage multi-site program evaluations that will inform service delivery and provide evidence for engaging policymakers, donors and the public in interventions addressing food insecurity: defines scope, goals and deliverables of projects in collaboration with Research Leadership, senior management, Technical Advisory Group, and other stakeholders; Identifies and manages project plan; schedules project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools; effectively communicates expectations and delegates tasks to team members, appropriate personnel, and/or consultants in a timely and clear fashion.
- Work collaboratively and cross functionally to develop proposals for funders interested in including program evaluation metrics in grant-making and help build program evaluation capacity across the network.
- Respond to senior management and network member inquiries for assistance regarding evaluation issues. Serve as the SME for the Programs and other teams in responding to network inquiries about program evaluation.
- Provides input and support to guide the prioritization and integration of the Strategic Research Agenda into the active research and programmatic approaches that align with Feeding America’s mission and organizational goals, and takes on project management responsibilities to carry out research that supports new research projects as they arise to advance the strategic agenda questions.
- Provides strategic counsel to the Research Leadership on budget management for all key research projects and coordinates the execution of activities during the annual budget and reforecasting processes.
- Provides technical assistance to network members to drive the development of local-level research & policy analysis capability.
- Directs data quality control process for primary data products and outputs such as food insecurity estimates, interactive map, food bank and state data files, public-use data files, etc.
- Collaborates with other Feeding America departments, including Government Relations, Strategy, and Communications to ensure that research insights and data are available at key junctures to proactively inform and support enterprise strategic decisions, policy initiatives, and public audience awareness.
- Supports and serves as a liaison to Feeding America’s Technical Advisory Group, a panel of national experts on research methodologies and food insecurity, to provide for appropriate peer review of research activities and to augment department research capacity.
- Manages external research vendors engaged to provide technical expertise and support for key research initiatives.
- Presents at learning conferences, policy forums and similar events on Feeding America research.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Upholds the nationally recognized expertise of Feeding America on policy & research within the fields of food assistance and poverty.
- 5 plus years in public policy, advocacy or policy research work with 2 plus years in social science research and statistical analysis
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different backgrounds and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Leverages functional expertise – Proven ability to use technical education in support of development, programs, strategy and member grants teams.
- Collaborates internally and externally – Adept at driving outcomes and building research capacity across the Feeding America Network.
- Continuously Improves - Seeks process improvements and provides a POV to drive change and news ways of doing things.
Required Technical Competencies and Experience
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and SPSS required.
- 10% - 20% travel required.