The Engagement Manager (EM) reports to the Associate Director of Donor Engagement (ADoDE). S/he works on a variety of donor engagement activities in support of advancing the annual development plan and donor fundraising strategies for the Illinois Chapter.
The Engagement Manager (EM) helps to create and execute an annual, comprehensive plan for Illinois donor engagement. S/he will work collaboratively with the development team to meet event, donor discovery, stewardship and engagement goals and metrics as set by the ADoDE. S/he will be responsible for: special event planning, execution, and follow up; creating donor collateral , presentations, cards and invitations, and e-blasts; maintaining the Engagement calendar; working with fundraising, marketing, and conservation staff to keep updated on conservation strategies and messaging; coordinating and distributing donor communications and marketing collateral; and keeping informed on both internal and external fundraising, events, and stewardship best practices in order to improve Illinois donor engagement. The EM uses the available fundraising management system to produce donor reports and lists, perform analysis and research, and track donor stewardship plans. S/he applies established processes and practices and creates new ones when needed to improve overall team effectiveness. The EM may have substantial contact with trustees, staff, donors, legal, financial professionals, and vendors. The EM will effectively communicate or distribute information to assist staff in making decisions, solving problems, and improving workflow. They may be asked to take on additional duties to enhance the work of the team.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Act independently on assigned tasks and exercise independent judgment based on analysis and experience.
- Coordinate projects with several variables, work within a defined timeline and budget.
- Does not supervise any staff, but may supervise interns, volunteers, and/or temporary staff.
- Ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements.
- Financial responsibility includes working within a budget, processing invoices and transfers, and contracting with vendors.
- Provide input through project teams for the improvement of existing programs.
- Refer difficult questions and unusual problems to supervisor.
- Travel and work flexible hours.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
- Work is diversified and may not always fall under established practices and guidelines.
- Work within scope of program’s strategic goals.
- Experience building relationships with staff, customers or similar.
- Experience generating reports and interpreting data.
- Experience in business writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Experience working across teams.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in principles and practices of relevant field.
- Experience with high-level event planning and execution.
- Ability to write and edit written materials for use with donors, members, and special events.
- Ability to set priorities, manage diverse activities, and meet deadlines.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability to analyze information for the purpose of coordinating and planning activities and solving problems.
- Ability to implement processes and strategic program goals.
- Ability to coordinate projects and work under pressure.
- Ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Experience interpreting guidelines to achieve desired results.
- Experience with database administration and spreadsheet software, including managing, tracking and analyzing data.
- Knowledge of current trends in fundraising.
- Strong organization skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Experience working with virtual colleagues and teams.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising principles and practices.
- Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships.