Brooklyn’s Park Slope Center for Successful Aging (PSCSA), located on 7th St. and 7th Avenue in Park Slope, seeks a Center Social Worker. PSCSA is a program of Heights and Hills, Brooklyn’s leading provider of social services for older adults and their families. Our vision for the center is to be a focal point in the Park Slope community for residents 60 and better, a place that nurtures the mind, body and spirit. This is an opportunity to join a visionary team that seeks to build on past successes and take this center to new heights. Are you the energetic, hands-on, hard-working and flexible professional that we seek?
Under the supervision of the Center Director, the Center Social Worker will assist in the overall functioning of the center, help clients on an individual basis, and lead and coordinate educational and recreational activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help center members maintain a high quality of life in regards to mental health, physical health, benefits, etc
- Plan and/or lead recreational and educational activities.
- Facilitate activity groups and center committee meetings.
- Assist in crisis intervention with client emergencies and issues of health or mental health deterioration.
- Assist clients with benefits and entitlements.
- Develop contacts with community resources.
- Conduct community outreach to recruit new membership.
- Conduct member registration.
- Work closely with the center Director and program participants to guide program planning and development.
- Prepare monthly calendar of events (both print and digital) and promotional materials to market and publicize center activities.
- Assist Director in monitoring compliance with all nutritional safety and compliance standards.
- Compile statistics, prepare reports, and keep attendance and other required records.
- Oversee volunteer schedules, track hours and monthly reports and provide volunteer training and support.
- Participate in intra- agency, inter-agency and community activities.
- Help with lunch service when needed.
- May provide task supervision to student interns and volunteers.
- Substitute for director when necessary.
- Other duties as required by the Program Director.
- Must be a dynamic, flexible, upbeat, drama-free and hands-on individual.
- Must have great people skills.
- Requires the ability to pivot and meet competing demands in a busy work environment.
- BSW or MSW, or related degree (e.g. counseling, gerontology, recreation therapy) and one year of human service experience. (This may include internships.)
- Must be a professional individual with sensitivity to the biological, psychological, and social aspects of aging and the impact of disabilities and illnesses on aging.
- Must be capable of responding to crisis situations in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Must have good organizational and writing skills.
- Must be comfortable in a setting with a very small staff who work together as a team and cover for one another, wearing multiple hats and willing to get their hands dirty.
- Requires excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Publisher). Knowledge of email programs such as Constant Contact is helpful.
- Prefer bi-lingual and cultural competency in Spanish
- Must be able lift 40 pounds
Full Benefits provided
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the title “Center Social Worker in the subject line
No phone calls.