About the Company:
Children of Promise, NYC (CPNYC) is a non-profit organization that provides a year-round, unique, integrated academic and enrichment after-school and summer program service model that meets the distinctive needs of children with incarcerated parent(s). CPNYC’s mission is to embrace and empower the children of incarcerated parents to break the cycle of intergenerational involvement in the criminal justice system through guidance, support and access to the necessary resources to effectively develop leadership skills, form positive social relationships and enhance academic performance.
Director of Development & Communications Summary:
Celebrating its 10th Anniversary in 2019 and poised to expand to the Bronx within the next year, CPNYC is in a period of tremendous growth and potential and is seeking a Director of Development and Communications that can increase public awareness and private funding streams. The Director of Development & Communications is a hands-on senior leader whose primary focus is overseeing an organizational budget of $2.8 million and increasing unrestricted revenue for CPNYC to advance the strategic priorities of the organization and ensure long-term growth and sustainability. The Director will carry out a robust development plan that includes revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, institutional foundation and government entities. Responsibilities include managing all donor relations, foundation submissions, corporate partnerships, donation systems and processes, special events, volunteer engagement and external affairs (including marketing, public relations, branding) This role will work directly with CPNYC’s Board of Directors, and two committees: Women’s Philanthropy Group and Young Professionals Council. The Director of Development and Communications is a member of the senior management team and works collaboratively with CPNYC’s Founder to set the strategic direction for the organization’s development and communication activities. The Development and Communications Associate reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Corporate Fundraising and Institutional Giving
- Play an instrumental role building an institutional giving and corporate program.
- Research foundation and corporate funding opportunities and recommend prospects with the greatest potential and propose cultivation strategies including developing relationships with individuals and program officers.
- Write grant proposals not assigned to the grant writer consultant and take the lead to prepare materials for submission.
- Manage corporate partnerships, including creating and leading meaningful volunteer opportunities, to ensure continued and increased financial support over times.
- Cultivate relationships with corporate executives and solicit sponsorship in support of special events and community events
- Work closely with the grants writer consultant to maintain the tracking system for grant proposal and report submission dates.
- Coordinate with program and finance teams on various documents and budgets to ensure grant deliverables to foundations.
- Recruit volunteers from corporations and develop events for impactful employee engagement opportunities to pursue new corporate partners
- Other duties as assigned
Individual Giving and Special Events
- Manage a donor development program to build CPNYC’s donor base at all giving levels through special appeals, monthly giving, cultivation events and major gifts.
- Partner with President/Founder to build a major donor giving program
- Oversee peer-to-peer fundraising initiatives and work with the team to build an audience through all social media platforms.
- Produce consistent communication to donors and create opportunities to engage donors in programs and volunteering.
- Oversee the production of Annual Benefit (e.g., recruiting potential corporate sponsors, engaging the Host Committee and other stakeholders around fundraising, etc.).
- Oversee all external relations through the creation and management of the CPNYC website, social media platforms, direct marketing, all printed collateral, donor correspondence, and newsletters.
- Drive the growth of the Executive Board, Women’s Philanthropy Group, Young Professionals Council and ensure that each is meeting its fundraising responsibilities.
- Serve as an ambassador for CPNYC at external events, including presenting on the organization and making direct asks.
- Develop and implement strategies to bolster CPNYC’s citywide presence and community engagement practices.
Development Systems and Reporting
- Monitor and report regularly to the Executive Director and the Board on the progress of the development program.
- Supervise the full-time Development and Communications Associate who will maintain records and reporting in the
- Salesforce database, generate thank you letters to donors and funders, conduct research, and provide administrative support to all areas of fundraising
- Work with Development and Communications Associate and track all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship using Salesforce
- Update office systems to support all development projects and operations.
- Oversee donor data management and ensure that Salesforce is being used effectively.
- Oversee donation processing, acknowledgment, tracking, reporting and reconciliation with Finance
- Manage and motivate a high-performing team to exceed goals.
Education/Licenses and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field
- 7+ years of development, fundraising, communications and management experience in a non-profit setting is preferred
- Proven track record of securing gifts that have increased in size over time
Skills and Key Attributes:
- Comfort making direct asks of individuals and corporate representatives
- A deep appreciation for CPNYC work, mission and population
- Experience in Board, committee and volunteer management
- Excellent project management, writing and researching skills; great attention to detail
- Advanced MS Office suite skills (Excel and PowerPoint); familiarity and experience using Gmail
- Experience using Salesforce
- Ability to manage multiple projects and simultaneous deadlines
- Relevant experience working with confidential information; extremely high reliability and integrity
- Excellent team player and be open to working in a fluid, fast paced environment with the ability to be flexible and adjust to claiming demands
- Proven participation and ability to work collaboratively with internal team members and management staff for the purposes of achieving goals/objectives
- Proven relationship manager