Save the Children’s U.S. Programs and Advocacy (USPA) division partners with low-income, rural communities across the country to give children living in these underserved areas a healthy start, the best possible opportunity to learn and protection from harm.
Save the Children is seeking a dynamic State Director to lead and grow our programmatic and advocacy work in Kentucky and West Virginia. They will provide overall leadership and representation of the organization as the senior staff member within the state while overseeing a high performing team. The State Director will work seamlessly with Save the Children HQ staff to develop and implement a long term strategic plan for our work in Kentucky and West Virginia. They will oversee program operations within the state, establish and strengthen strategic partnerships, align programmatic strategy and growth, secure additional funding, and drive our state level policy and advocacy agenda.
Leadership and Representation: 25%
- Lead State-level programs, operations, advocacy, fundraising, marketing and communication
- Establish and maintain relationships with State officials, donors and partners
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships to scale the impact of our work and promote long-term sustainability
- Increase the visibility of Save the Children’s work in Kentucky and West Virginia – represent Save the Children to opinion leaders and high level officials; Host site visits for donors/VIPs; serve as a spokesperson with media and at state events
Program Strategy and Implementation: 20%
- Coordinate with National team to develop and execute long-term program strategies, focused on increasing reach and diversifying stable funding
- Work with partners to advance Save the Children’s Policy and Advocacy goals in Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Work to build and strengthen the Kentucky-Out-of-School-Alliance to increase quality programming across Kentucky and increase our brand across the state.
- Partner with National Education, Early Childhood and Child Protection teams to ensure programs meet quality standards
Operational Excellence: 25%
- Lead development and management of state-level annual budget and plan
- Oversee/implement all sources of funding to ensure donor compliance and efficient use of resources
- Build and maintain a high performing team – participate in the development of organizational design and staffing plan; lead recruitment efforts for state-based staff; promote staff learning and development goals
Partnership Development and Management: 20%
- Ensure effective management of sub-grants
- Establish State-level, county-level and local level, partnership strategy and relationships, including with key stakeholders, funders, and programs partners.
Public and Private Fundraising: 10%
- Identify competitive grants and partnering opportunities locally in partnership with National fundraising teams
- Identify and implement Kentucky and West Virginia-focused private funding strategy and pipeline at State level in partnership with fundraising and advocacy colleagues
- Raise incremental funds from local corporations, foundations and individuals; secure Gifts-in-Kind in partnership with fundraising colleagues
- Minimum 7-10 years' experience in area of expertise
- Strong level of technical and/ or managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to direct the operational activities of a unit or team, or provide technical advice, guidance and management related to various size programs, grants or projects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across levels and locations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Entrepreneurial approach for growing state-level presence and programs
- Willingness to travel locally and within the state and region 25% of the time.
- Established track record of donor relationships within Kentucky and West Virginia
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with child-focused organizations in Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Strong network and relationship among funders, partners and policy makers in Kentucky and West Virginia.
- Comfort working with high-level donors, board members, legislators and other VIPs
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.