The HR Specialist is responsible for ensuring the Head Start program is supported with effective recruitment and hiring of employees, records retention, payroll troubleshooting, new employee orientation and onboarding, maintaining employee information, and general HR support. The incumbent will be responsible for providing HR guidance to employees on agency level human resources and administrative procedures and standards, while ensuring Head Start and Save the Children policies and protocols are adhered to and administered consistently. The HR Specialist will report to the Senior Director of Human Resources, US Programs
As a front line representative of Save the Children, the Human Resource Specialist is required to provide support in ensuring the safety and security of children and families that they come in contact with – adhering to the agency’s values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity, and Integrity.
As a Save the Children employee who will come into contact with children on a routine basis, you are expected to prevent child abuse, in every situation, by striving through mental awareness, best practice, and training to minimize risk to children. You must take positive steps to protect children who may be a subject of concern and report and respond to any instance of child abuse, and promote training & awareness that addresses all child safeguarding obligations.
Human Resources (40%)
- Assists in the development, coordination and administration of an effective recruitment program and works to build a high-quality workforce.
- Along with the HR Manager, oversees the development and monitoring of the system for individual staff professional development plans.
- Assists in the development and implementation of orientation training for new staff, including child safety policy, and ensuring the continuing education needs of the entire staff.
- Assists in creating and maintaining the personnel filing system for all employees,.
- Works with HR Manager to ensure all employee data is input and updated in system.
- Maintains strict confidentiality, with respect to Head Start/Early Head Start children, families and staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Attends regularly scheduled team meetings; supports the HR Manager with reviewing staffing needs, setting goals, monitor progress towards goals, providing regular feedback, and performing annual staff evaluations.
- Collaborates with Program Director, HR Manager and supervisors to provide adequate recruitment and staffing support, including outreach to build a continual pipeline of talent for the Head Start program, screening of applicants and execution of the employment process
Child Safeguarding (20%)
- Partner with Program Director and HR Manager to ensure adherence to standards set by Save the Children & the Office of Head Start.
- Collaborates with program staff on the monitoring & reporting of violations.
- Coordinates interviews with staff, and other involved (adult) parties during investigations of allegations of child safeguarding policy violations.
- Liaise with parents, the Office of Licensing, and Corporate staff as necessary.
Compliance & Oversight (30%)
- In partnership with the HR Manager, ensures orientation and pre-service training is provided to all staff.
- Coaches and counsels supervisors and employees on the implementation and management of HR policies and procedures.
- Supports the HR Manager to ensure the compliance & maintenance of personnel records, and the monitoring the system for staff professional development.
Community Relations (10%)
- Works with Program Director and HR Manager to respond to community complaints and requests for information regarding program areas of responsibility.
- Attends Policy Council meetings, as requested.
- Minimum 3-5 years' of Human Resources experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel to multiple site locations.
- Professional level of specialized knowledge to manage complex tasks, programs or projects.
- General knowledge of Head Start/Early Head Start . Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to handle complex and difficult issues and provide resolutions/recommendations to solve problems.
- Ability to plan and direct activities, write and administer goals & objectives , and communicate effectively.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 5-10 pounds constantly; performing such activities as sitting, crawling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Management, Public Administration or related field.
- Human Resources experience in a Head Start program.
- To drive agency vehicles (if applicable), you must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the Save the Children Head Start insurance carrier and have a Motor Vehicle Record acceptable to Save the Children Head Start.
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid holidays
What makes us special!
- Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions
- Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances.
- Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
- Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
- Language learning opportunities
- Continuous Improvement skill development programs
- Lunch and Learn information sharing sessions