DC-CAP is seeking a strategic development professional who is experienced in frontline fundraising and is passionate about college access and success. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Development Officer will be instrumental in developing and implementing a strategy that encourages continued support of DC-CAP’s mission and programs and promotes a culture of philanthropy. The Chief Development Officer will partner with DC-CAP’s leadership to define the organization’s vision and direction to achieve philanthropic goals, ensuring DC-CAP’s growth and success; establish and cultivate relationships with core funding partners and prospects; lead an expanding team of development professionals; and serve as an ambassador of the organization.
Fundraising & Strategy
- Develop a fundraising strategy and foster a culture of philanthropy to galvanize the community around DC-CAP’s mission and vision and in alignment with the organization’s values.
- Partner with the CEO, staff, and governing board to facilitate short and long-term strategic plans to raise $150M as part of a 10-year capital campaign for DC-CAP’s 2050 Goal to advance organizational priorities.
- Manage a personal portfolio of high-net-worth individual prospects and donors to independently secure six- and seven-figure donations through direct solicitation of leadership prospects; support the advancement of the President & CEO’s donor portfolio.
- Participate with the CEO and senior management to plan the organization's fund development course and programs; collaborate cross-departmentally, including with Program Officers, to ensure programming and organizational needs are met through fundraising efforts.
- Cultivate a balanced mix of donor sources and fundraising programs to attract and retain donors including individual donors, foundations, corporations, and government grants.
- Write and finalize grant proposals and renewals and track grant deliverables.
- Conduct research and outreach for institutional gifts, including government and foundation grants to secure key anchor partners.
- Oversee individual giving, instituting moves management and other pipeline development initiatives to secure major gifts and build major donor support for DC-CAP.
- Represent DC-CAP at events and community functions; serve as an ambassador of the organization.
- Keep abreast of developments in philanthropy and fund development.
- Lead a team of 4 full-time development professionals. Provide on-going guidance and motivation, ensure strong internal communication, evaluate performance, and provide opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Engage the Board of Directors, cultivating a strong relationship between the Board and the organization.
- Collaborate with senior management to shape and deliver consistent messaging around DC-CAP’s programs and mission, increasing visibility of the organization and opportunities for support, particularly within growing D.C. community networks.
- Ensure efficient execution of development operations and functions to meet and exceed philanthropic goals.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate the efficacy of the development program.
- Identify and address development issues that affect the well-being and success of the organization.
- Maintain accountability and ensure compliance with all regulations and laws, as well as the code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
- Bachelor's degree in any field of study required.
- CFRE, advanced degree, or other advanced certification a plus.
- 7-10 years of development experience with at least 3 years of management responsibility.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising, particularly with campaigns.
- Successful solicitation of individual major donors and/or philanthropic foundations to secure six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Experience with and affinity for building fundraising teams, systems and processes.
- Strong interpersonal, decision-making, and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience writing and successfully receiving government or foundation grants preferred.
- Working knowledge of educational policy preferred.
- Confident public speaking abilities; grace and poise in external-facing roles.
- Analytical thinking and ability to analyze data.
- Complex problem-solving ability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; knowledge of Salesforce preferred.
- Occasional travel required.
- Comfortable working in entrepreneurial and ambiguous environments.
- Sense of humor and ability to show up with a growth mindset required.
Full time employees of DC-CAP are eligible for benefits, including the following:
- 403(b) plan with organization match.
- Medical & Vision Insurance. DC-CAP covers 75% of the premium.
- Generous PTO policy that includes February, Spring, Winter breaks, and a week-long holiday break for July 4th holiday.
- Professional development and tuition reimbursement.
- 12 Week Family Leave Policy.
This position is full-time with a base salary within the range of $175,000 - $220,000 annually, depending on experience.
To apply, please follow this link: https://grnh.se/849b39f03us
DC-CAP is committed to ensuring an environment free from discrimination and an equal employment opportunity. As such, employment decisions at DC-CAP are based on merit, qualifications, experience, and skillset. DC-CAP does not discriminate in employment opportunities and practices based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, and any other characteristics. DC-CAP will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.