Muslim Advocates is seeking a Policy Assistant to lead a growing policy and outreach department, within a growing organization.
Muslim Advocates seeks candidates who will play a critical role in supporting our work to counter anti-Muslim bigotry and are determined to do their part to fight hate and discrimination. A successful applicant will be committed to supporting Muslim Advocates efforts to strategically and rigorously push back against bigotry at a national level. They will be comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously, and able to approach each task with passion and dedication.
The Policy Assistant will be based in our Washington, DC office.
- Conduct research and contribute to drafts of correspondence and reports including letters, memos, position papers, fact sheets, briefing materials, talking points, policy reports, etc.
- Research anti-Muslim bigotry issues, including hate groups, hate speech by public officials, hate speech online, rallies and protests, etc.
- Provide administrative support to policy and outreach department including scheduling, note taking, preparing meeting materials, and other duties as assigned.
- Build and maintain relationships with allies and coalition partners.
- Recruit, train, and manage team of policy and outreach interns.
Community Outreach (30%):
- Organize trainings, workshops, webinars and/or seminars on a range of issues for partners and community members.
- Assist in developing community education resources on a range of discrimination issues including the Muslim ban, hate crimes, mosque attacks and vandalism, online hate, etc.
- Draft and distribute monthly newsletters to coalition partners, which will include news alerts, resources and important updates.
- Build and maintain relationship with community leaders.
- Identify opportunities for growing the presence and breadth of our programs work
Special Projects (20%):
- Serve as critical support for special projects as needed by Special Counsel and Deputy Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in political science, public policy, government, communications, or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Intellectually curious and able to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources
- Ability to travel on occasion and devote flexible hours to meet goals
- Computer proficiency, including knowledge and use of Word, Excel, social media platforms, and internet-based research
- Familiarity with the US political process and policy issues that impact the lives of American Muslims a plus
- A strong commitment to social justice and Muslim Advocates’ values and mission
- A positive attitude
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
To apply, candidates should submit a resume; a cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience; and two writing samples. Click on or copy and paste this link to submit your application: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/Vd4YXt7chy/Policy-Assistant. Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
About Muslim Advocates:
Founded in 2005, Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. We ensure that American Muslims have a seat at the table with expert representation so that all Americans may live free from hate and discrimination. For more information, visit www.muslimadvocates.org