The National Pancreas Foundation (NPF) www.pancreasfoundation.org is the leading national organization that supports research, education and awareness of all diseases of the pancreas, including pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis. The NPF has been expanding rapidly, through the establishment of a growing coast to coast network of chapters and through the recent rapid increase in targeted corporate grant funding, major patient and physician education events, digital awareness efforts and social media.
The NPF has an opening for its next Executive Director.
The NPF is looking for an experienced, visionary and strategic leader who can lead the Foundation to the next level of impact. The organization has an ambitious agenda and is poised for significant growth, which provides an exciting opportunity for a hands-on individual to build an effective infrastructure, provide leadership in the development of strategic and tactical plans, and tap their creativity and energy to guide and foster this growth.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the successful planning and operations of NPF. In partnership with the NPF board, he/she will develop priorities and tangible strategic and tactical plans for expanding sources of financial support, serve as an effective spokesperson for the organization and develop best practice operating procedures for the central office.
The Executive Director should have a leadership style that is goal-oriented, motivated and enthusiastic. The candidate should be flexible, confident, analytical and committed to the success of the Foundation and its mission.
- Provide experienced guidance to the Board of Directors to position the organization for rapid growth.
- Marshall the development of short, intermediate and long-term growth plans.
- Supervise and support the activities of the Director of Development in coordinating fund-raising efforts for unrestricted and dedicated funding of NPF programs and initiative
- Direct the cultivation and meaningful involvement of volunteers at all levels of income production.
- Develop prospecting strategies to obtain support from individuals, corporations, foundations and other sources of funding and/or influence.
- Organize and initiate programs to retain and increase the Major Donors program
- Provide leadership and support to the key fundraising events
- Collaborate with other non-profit foundations, professional groups, and industry groups to coordinate programs and successfully achieve grant funding
- Be responsible for the recruitment and management of personnel resources, including both paid staff and volunteers.
- Support the growth and development of the NPF Centers of Excellence Program
- Provide support and leadership to the Registry Manager to build and grow a National Patient Registry
- Provide support and leadership to the Chapter Manager to build a national network of local chapters.
- Ensure that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Cultivate and sustain a strong team-oriented culture with an emphasis on results and accountability.
- Balance resources with needs to ensure a cost-effective infrastructure.
- Provide management updates to the Board to allow the Board to oversee the NPF’s strategic direction, development, and financial stability.
- In conjunction with the accounting team, Treasurer and the Finance Committee, develop the annual budget for review by the Board; be accountable for the attainment of the annual budget.
- Responsible for oversight of the financial books and records, and financial policies and procedures; and oversight of timely and accurate submission of financial reports for review and approval by the Treasurer, Finance Committee and the board.
- Manage the implementation of targeted grants and restricted donations in accordance with applicable requirements.
- Oversee the program of pilot grant awards and the committees and oversight groups who supervise and administer these awards
- Successfully identify and secure funding opportunities through designated and unrestricted grant applications available from industry sponsors
- Develop and implement digital communications strategy, website management, and expand patient and medical outreach through digital means and social media.
- Oversee the creation and delivery of all communications materials, including brochures, educational materials, the web site, and an annual report.
- Serve as the public face of the NPF at public events and with the media, and at meetings and conventions relating to pancreatic disease.
Board Communication and Management
- Establish strong working relationships with the members of the Board of Directors and with Board committees.
- Help to identify new Board members who share the NPF’s strategic vision and have the ability to help the NPF meet it strategic and financial goals.
- Schedule and lead the quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors, including preparation of an agenda and the advanced distribution of matters for which a vote is required by Board members.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to build, manage and cultivate the growth of a mission-driven organization. Experience with disease-focused 501(c)3 organizations is preferred.
- College degree required.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience with a clear record of achievement and advanced managerial responsibilities. A successful track record of non-profit fund-raising is preferred.
- Knowledge of business and management principles, reporting requirements, strategic planning, fiscal oversight and human resources for 501(c)3 organizations.
- The written and verbal communication skills needed to interact successfully with and understand the needs of medical societies, clinical and scientific leaders in pancreatic diseases, patients and families.
- Flexibility to travel as necessary.
Commensurate with the candidate’s experience and with salary levels of comparable foundations.
Candidates may submit a resume’ and cover letter (as separate attached documents) to [email protected]. Please include preferred contact information if different than that shown on the resume’.
*Please indicate how you became aware of the Executive Director Position.
The NPF maintains an office in Bethesda, Maryland; the Executive Director's responsibilities can be managed on a combined “virtual” and in-person basis if the successful candidate is not currently located in the greater DC area.