Role: Finance Senior Associate
Reports to: Jamar Knox, Director of Finance and Operations
Location: This position may telecommute from anywhere in the United States.
Chiefs for Change is a nonprofit, bipartisan network of diverse state and district education chiefs. With more than three dozen members, our work is focused on advocacy, leadership development, and member supports.
We are positioned to rapidly spread bold policies and practices, as we have:
- National reach: Our members lead education systems with more than 7 million students, 454,000 teachers, and 14,000 schools.
- Diverse contexts: Our network is diverse in terms of race, gender, political affiliation, and geography.
- A model for disseminating promising ideas: We work with our members, excellent technical assistance providers, and top-tier research institutions to scale innovative approaches designed to improve student learning.
To learn more about Chiefs for Change, please visit chiefsforchange.org.
The finance senior associate will be responsible for managing a range of financial and operational projects to support and meet the organization’s goals. This work will involve conducting monthly financial analyses and bookkeeping; managing contractors; preparing documents; tracking deliverables; onboarding new vendors; coordinating with internal teams; and overseeing special projects.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong background in bookkeeping, but is also eager to contribute to broader financial and administrative work. An enthusiastic collaborator, the person will be able to understand and communicate complex data and information accurately and in a timely fashion. They take a proactive and methodical approach to their work and will be ready to immediately jump in on key projects. Experience providing financial, operational, and administrative support for a nonprofit organization is preferred.
- Prepare monthly financial analyses, including statements of cash flows, income statements, and grant allocation reports
- Conduct balance sheet analysis and headcount analysis
- Prepare quarterly board reports
- Prepare contracts and manage vendors
- Assist with accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Prepare and track invoices for processing
- Code and track monthly expense transactions
- Process and track expense reimbursements
- Provide support for the annual budget development process
- Conduct monthly reviews of vendor invoices, staff allocations, and expense reports
- Assist with audits, audit schedules, statements, and information returns
- Manage vendors to ensure organization records include required and appropriate documentation, that necessary approvals are in place, and that payments are processed in a timely manner
- Prepare supporting documentation for approved grants and contracts
- Manage special projects and conduct additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration; master’s preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and successfully execute multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to both collaborate with others and work effectively in an independent manner
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated ability to achieve ambitious goals and meet critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive and resourceful approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capability
- Sense of humor, strong work ethic, and enthusiastic attitude
- Experience using Google Apps (i.e., Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Forms, etc.)
- Proficient in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Proficient in accounting and bill pay software, preferably Sage Intaact and Bill.com
- Ability to travel periodically
- Experience with government audits preferred
The salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. As we are a small team, we are not able to respond to each inquiry. We will reach out directly to those candidates who we select to move forward in the interview process. We believe diversity is a source of strength and welcome applicants of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.