Social Good Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a mission to create and establish positive influences for individuals, communities, and the environment. Our goal is to sponsor projects that will help positively impact and develop local communities into healthier and happier places to live, work, and be.
We achieve the mission through the practice of efficient, effective, low-barrier, high-quality fiscal sponsorship. (Learn more about fiscal sponsorship.)
Beginning with one half-time employee in 2014 and zero revenue, Social Good Fund has now grown into a mature, full-service fiscal sponsorship organization with over a dozen full-time core operations employees, over 220 sponsored project employees, and annual revenue of over $29M. We serve as fiscal sponsor to hundreds of nonprofit/charitable programs and projects across a wide diversity of program focus and content, in a host of geographic locations both domestically and abroad.
Demand for our services continues to grow, as does the necessity for the organization to add capacity to meet the demand.
The Organization: Working at Social Good Fund
Though based in Richmond, CA, we are a 100% virtual office with all of our employees working from home/shared work spaces. Business hours are M - F, 9a - 5p PST, with potential flexibility, depending on many factors. In order to succeed in this role, you will need to have a space where you can work with a strong internet connection, and a comfort with, and preference for, working remotely. Although we are a remote team, we may provide the opportunity to travel for in-person convenings once or twice per year.
Our organizational approach applies both to how we practice fiscal sponsorship, and how we operate and work together to achieve our mission: It assumes best intentions and seeks to continuously act in good faith. We strive for efficiency in order to decrease barriers to realizing positive change in the world. We are a focused, friendly and helpful team, and we’re looking for an equally disposed person to join us. We have a strong sense of shared responsibility and we are looking for someone who appreciates and wants to contribute to this environment.
The Project Accountant will be a member of the core Accounts team and support many aspects of the accounting and financial function of the organization. In order to be successful in the Project Accountant position, the candidate must be an exceptional customer service contributor for our projects:
- Act as a support team customer service representative for our projects, with an expected workload split (50%) between communications with our projects, and (50%) performing accounting functions
- Perform accounts payable function, including ensuring project balances and routing payments to vendors, and respond to AP inquiries from projects
- Record ACH deposits and online donation revenues
- Respond to project manager inquiries, including researching issues and ultimately providing answers to the project managers
- Assist program managers with reporting functions and accounting software
- Take on various projects as assigned by Accounts management team
- Maintain strong communications with our internal project services department to provide timely resolutions for that team
The best candidate for this position will have three to five years of accounting/bookkeeping experience and be a self-starting, self-respecting, team-playing, positive-thinking, tech-savvy and consistent person with a passion for doing good in the world. The best candidate will also:
- Possess flexibility as the duties of this role may change significantly as our scope of services expand/contract
- Have exceptional customer-service and a mission-driven approach
- Have the ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a professional, clear and concise manner
- Understand the importance of follow-through and responsiveness
- Work well with our teams and place project priorities ahead of personal priorities/deadlines
- A general understanding of journal entries, including balancing entries with debits and credits
- Understand the difference between the 2 main financial statements: Balance Sheet and Income Statement
- Basic Excel skills: sums, formatting, sorting data, checking/confirming totals
- Possess general financial reporting abilities
- Ability to learn fund accounting concepts
- Maintain appropriate discretion regarding sensitive employee and organizational information
- Have a consistent and reliable workspace: home, shared workspace
- Must be a team player, flexible and present, with strong creative problem-solving skills
- Maintain a sense of humor in the face of challenging interactions and situations
- Accept, appreciate and support the diversity and differences of the individuals and groups we work with
- Be familiar with MS Office and Google Office tools
- Quickly learn online and digital systems that you are not familiar with
- Be helpful and supportive of project goals
- Exceptional customer service skills, including responding to a large volume of emails in a cordial and timely manner
- Prior use of an accounting platform
- Experience with nonprofit accounting
- Commitment to the nonprofit sector and charitable work
The annual salary will be $65K. SGF offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan, FSA, commuter benefits, and “unlimited” paid time off.
Please email your cover letter and resume (in PDF format) to [email protected] with “Project Accountant” in the subject line. Your cover letter should be addressed to Kyle Solberg, CFO.
In your cover letter, please be sure to address the following:
- Tell us about your accounting background;
- Describe your interest in customer service, including how you’d contribute to our customer service function
- Talk about your interest and/or experience in the nonprofit sector
Equal Opportunity Employer:
At Social Good Fund, we are committed to removing barriers for all people who wish to do good in their communities. As a result of lowering these barriers, we are proud to say that we have attracted a very diverse group of project leaders working across communities all throughout the globe on issues that impact millions of lives.
Social Good Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage, actively seek, and celebrate diversity in our workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We encourage applicants of color and individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.