Manage day to day input of financial information to maintain accurate and timely financial position by analyzing data. Oversee and manage the organization’s various accounting functions and reporting system activities such as accounts receivable and payable processing, accurate financial transaction posting, financial report and statement preparation, annual audit and IRS Form 990. Project cash flow, assist with budgeting and manage cash to meet organizational needs. Perform all work within the guidelines of GAAP standards.
- Reporting: Preparation of accurate and timely presentation of United Way of Westchester and Putnam (UWWP) financial statements to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors and financial statements for Hudson Valley 2-1-1 (HV 2-1-1) to the HV 2-1-1 Policy Board on a quarterly basis. Prepare monthly and/or quarterly billing for 2-1-1 contracts. Work with external auditors to complete consolidated annual audited financial statements and IRS 990, Perform RUM (Resources Under Management) and cash flow analysis. Provide requested information to assist with the preparation of select United Way Worldwide (UWW) mandated DB2. Additional reporting to COO and other departments as requested.
- Daily Operations: Monitor income and review organizational financial commitments, manage cash flow, and cash on hand, including bank transfers, to meet the financial obligations of UWWP as well as HV 2-1-1. Work with broker to process all contributions made in the form of securities as well as internal recording and acknowledgment of such contributions. Act as liason to financial institutions for transactions related to daily operations as well as securing credit, both in the form of loans as well as credit cards. Review line of credit for use in the most prudent and cost effective manner as well as work with the Board Treasurer and financial institution to obtain most favorable interest rates related to line of credit. Review grants proposed by Community Impact and Resource Development departments as well as HV 2-1-1 for accuracy and adherence to actions taken by Board of Directors. Complete financial reporting for grants to grantors, including Hudson Valley 2-1-1. Review weekly accounts payable requests and process. Pay donor designations on a timely basis.
- General Ledger and System Maintenance: Review all journal entries prepared by Finance department staff members. Review bank, pledges and accounts payable reconciliations as well as all general ledger accounts. Review accuracy of transactions posted to Stratus Live; notify individual responsible of any inaccuracies and suggest course of action to correct. Oversee the input of approved grants into accounts payable. Reconcile inter-company accounts (HV 2-1-1). Journalize year end entries as well as oversee monthly and year end closes. Ensure that DataPro and fixed assets software are updated to latest revisions available. Establish and maintain protocols and internal controls for the Finance department.
- Policies and Procedures: Implement auditor’s suggestions approved by the Finance Committee and ensure that organization works within the guidelines stated by GAAP. Ensure that department complies with the established rules of operation, procedures and controls, and policies related to confidential information. Review investment policy and ensure that policy is followed. Ensure that the department operates in an ethical manner and that a conflict of interest does not exist in department and in Finance committee.
- Job Relationships: Work with Treasurer and Finance committee members to direct UWWP in the most fiscally responsibly manner. Inform the Treasurer and committee members of any events relative to the operations and well being of the organization. With the help of Treasurer and committee members, establish best practices for overall operations of the finance area. Present financial statements and relevant issues to the Finance Committee. Interacts with team members at all levels of the organization, public accounting and bank representatives, grantors and other vendors.
- Supervision: Supervise 1.5 direct reports. Work closely with VP for Operations for accounts payable and payroll functions.
- Minimum five years of accounting and supervisory experience with a working knowledge of accounting principles and standards.
- Nonproft experience a plus. Strong sense of integrity, a commitment to accuracy, and familiarity with nonprofit organizations and their structure a plus.
- Knowledge of MS Office and accounting software.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to present financial information to committees.
- Managerial skills.
- Ability to multi task and work with deadlines.
- Standard office work environment.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Occasional local travel/use of personal auto to events within the regional area
- Attend occasional after hour and/or weekend activities that benefit UWWP and the community, including special events, community activities and/or times of declared disasters requiring 211 support
Salary: $81,000 to $90,000 per year