MenEngage Global Alliance seeks a full-time Symposium Coordinator to drive and monitor all activities related to the organizing of the 3rd MenEngage Global Symposium, which is scheduled to take place in the second half of 2020. This is a temporary position for the duration of the project.
About MenEngage Alliance
MenEngage Alliance is an international civil society network working to transform unequal power-relations and dismantle patriarchy through transforming masculinities and engaging men and boys to advance women’s rights and gender justice for all. The Alliance consists of more than 700-member organizations across 70 countries, working together through country and regional networks. The Alliance plays a pivotal role in shaping the international agenda on work with men and boys from a feminist perspective, particularly in the areas of gender-based violence prevention, advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) for all, redistributing unpaid care-work, and advancing peace and security. The Global Secretariat, MenEngage Alliance [MenEngage Global Alliance] runs the daily operations of the Alliance.
About the 3rd Global Symposium
MenEngage Alliance members and partners have organized global, regional and national events, including two global symposiums: in 2009 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and in 2014 in Delhi, India. These brought together hundreds of activists, researchers, practitioners and policy makers, from civil society, government and the UN. The past symposiums have played a key role in setting the agenda for men and masculinities work, and have nurtured a community of practice within the broader feminist movement for gender justice. As previously, the 3rd MenEngage Global Symposium will be co-organized by MenEngage Global Alliance, the local host organization and the local MenEngage regional/country network in the Global South. Through various Committees, Working Groups and Regional-level network-structures, the MenEngage Alliance membership and partners work together to mobilize participants, collectively build the agenda and program of the Symposium, and jointly hold the multi-day event at the host location.
Summary of the position
The Symposium Coordinator will be responsible for the overall coordination and monitoring of the organizing of the symposium and related tasks. Working closely with the MenEngage Global Secretariat team and the local host organization, the Symposium Coordinator supports the workings of various committees and working groups, including quality insurance, time-management and meeting deadlines. The Symposium Coordinator keeps overview of and acts as point-person for all processes; maintains databases and ensures information is shared across groups; provides leadership and shows initiative to ensure the process is on-track; works with the local host organization on event logistics, including venue, hotels, transportation and materials; and provides all necessary support the Symposium Executive Committee in its decision making. The Symposium Coordinator sees to a sustainable event management strategy through integration of environmental and social responsibility issues throughout the symposium process.
Practicalities of the position
The Symposium Coordinator reports to the Director of the MenEngage Alliance Global Secretariat, located at WeWork Dupont Circle, in Washington, D.C. 20009, USA. We are a small team, working remotely, with flexibility in work hours. The Symposium Coordinator may work from their home-location, and will be required to travel internationally in relation to symposium organizing. This is a full-time position.
●Drive and monitor all activities in the planning and execution of event organizing, including quality insurance and time-management to ensure deadlines are met; and act as primary point of contact and liaison for all relevant event communication
● Coordinate planning and implementation of activities among all stakeholders across global, regional and local levels, including with the local host organization, MenEngage Country and Regional networks and the Global Symposium International Steering Committee (ISC).
● Develop and drive the sustainable event management strategy by integrating environmental and social responsibility issues into the symposium organizing processes.
● Coordinate the symposium budget and control expenses within the budget.
● Coordinate to develop fundraising and resource mobilization strategy.
● Support and monitor the various symposium organizing committees in their planning and implementation.
● Maintain documentation for planning, organizing and decision making of the committees and other relevant groups.
● Coordinate program development, including keeping tracks of plenaries, panel and workshop spaces, exhibitions, creative spaces, nurturing and safe spaces;
● Coordinate identification of and requests from speakers and other invitees; and see to the maintenance of participant registration.
● Coordinate venue identification, booking and planning together with the local hosts - including room and seating requirements, decoration and ensuring all the necessary materials and tools are available.
● Coordinate together with the local hosts hotels bookings and local transportation.
● Coordinate the development and distribution of symposium documents and materials.
● Coordinate the communications strategy with the Communications Coordinator, including on website and social media platforms.
● Coordinate the knowledge development and dissemination strategy for the symposium
a) Undergraduate degree in social sciences and humanities, gender studies, business, or hospitality management for non-profit sector.
b) 2-3 years of experience on conference organizing, events planning and management, coordination of conference organizing for non-profit organizations and networks, preferably on the issues of women’s rights, gender equality and social justice.
c) Demonstrated knowledge of working and coordinating for an international events or conferences, for NGOs or private sectors
d) Demonstrated understanding of coordinating with multi-sectoral and multi-cultural working environments, and handling interpersonal dynamics
e) Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work well with a wide variety of people across various regions
f) Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook) and internet-based tools
g) Excellent English writing and speaking skills h) Demonstrated ability to achieve set goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
i) Demonstrated commitments to women’s rights and gender justice for all
a) Good understanding and adherence to the feminist principles and vision of gender equality
b) Second language skills – Spanish, Portuguese or French
c) Knowledge of project tracking software
Please submit a motivation letter, resume and the names and contact information of three references to [email protected] with the subject “Application for Symposium Coordinator” as soon as possible. Applications from individuals as well as event organizing groups will be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. MenEngage Global Alliance is an equal opportunity employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. For more information about MenEngage Alliance see www.menengage.org