Lead a historic YMCA in a revitalizing Youngstown Strong downtown that has a rich past and promising future.
Under the general direction of the COO, this position directs the Central YMCA’s strategic planning efforts and develops the annual operating plan and is accountable for the successful management of the Central YMCA Branch.
Demonstrates YMCA leadership competencies to ensure the mission, purpose, image, and core values of the YMCA of Youngstown is conveyed internally and with community relations and collaborations with community agencies. Serves as a member of Y Senior Leadership Team and supports the overall objectives of the YMCA. Implement and maintain consistency in service standards and functional processes across branches.
About the Central YMCA: The flagship branch of the YMCA of Youngstown, the Central YMCA has been a pillar in the downtown Youngstown community for over 135 years. Additional branches are the Camp Fitch YMCA in North Springfield, PA and the Davis Family YMCA in Boardman, OH. An operating budget of 1.8M, with 1,500 membership units serving 3800 members plus hundreds of program participants. Major programs; Aquatics-Swim Team, Youngstown Swims Initiative, Water Fitness; Fitness-Spinning, Group Exercise, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, YDPP, and additional chronic disease and management programs; Youth-Basketball Leagues, Day Camp, collaborations with groups and schools for gym and swim and afterschool programing; Spiritual Emphasis Committee; Silver Sneakers; Community Cup. Over 100,000 sq/ft building, which went through a 5+M renovation in 2017 houses two pools, free weight room, cardio room, 3 group exercise studios, racquetball courts, squash courts, lounge areas, meeting rooms, chapel, restaurant, and several locker rooms. Annual Campaign budget of $300,000. ED will lead team of 5 exempt staff, 6 full-time staff, and 90 part-time staff. Central is known for its hospitality, member engagement, and goodwill in the community.
- PROGRAM MANAGEMENT—Fosters a climate of innovation to develop programs which support the Y mission, goals, and strategies. Ensure all on-site programs are managed in accordance with the policies, values, and standards established by the YMCA.
- TALENT MANAGEMENT—Oversees the recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, training, development, supervision, performance management and engagement of staff.
- FACILITY MANAGEMENT—Ensures the safety and maintenance of high-quality facilities, grounds, vehicles, and equipment. Oversees progress on the capital improvement plan, including renovations and facility projects.
- RISK MANAGEMENT—Oversees operations to adhere to all state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations and procedures, including Child Abuse Prevention, emergencies, medical, facility use, aquatic safety, and disciplinary situations; completes and follows up on Incident Reports.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT—Develops and manages branch budget to ensure revenue/expense and program services goals are achieved. Manages Y’s resources responsibly and sustains the Y’s non-profit business model to ensure revenue/expense and program services goals are achieved. Completes variance reports.
- MEMBER RECRUITMENT & RETENTION—Leads the branch in strategically recruiting and engaging new members and community partners. Maintains retention through high-quality staff, programs & services, and facility maintenance and cleanliness.
- MEMBER SERVICE & ENGAGEMENT— Develops and directs high-quality relationship-based engagement strategies. Acts intentionally to connect people with the Y cause through our service and engagement principles; Welcome, Connect, Support, Invite; leads staff to create a culture of service and engagement. Creates an atmosphere where friendship, achievement, and belonging are developed in all programs and departments.
- MISSION & CAUSE ADVANCEMENT—Responsible for the financial development of Central’s Annual Campaign to ensure branch is meeting or exceeding campaign goal. Build relationships and steward donors. Coordinates the development of the Central Advisory Board. Directs volunteer activities (development and program) of the branch.
- MARKETING –Supportsbranch marketing and communication efforts, in alignment with YMCA Branding Guidelines, to effectively communicate benefit to the community.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING— Models relationship-building skills in all interactions with staff, volunteers, members, and the community. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations. Maintains regular, clear, and concise communication within area of responsibility. Responds to all inquiries, emails, messages and complaints in timely manner.
- COLLABORATION—Develops, maintains, and models collaborative relationships with community agencies in service delivery area. Represents and promotes the YMCA in the local community and develops positive working relationships with other schools, organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
- Seven or more years of management experience with skills in recruiting, training, staff management, development, and engagement.
- Demonstrated success in driving revenue and managing expenses.
- Experience overseeing marketing, public relations, and program development.
- Experience in management and development of volunteer involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders. Experience in fundraising and individual gift solicitation and cultivation.
- Polished, professional demeanor with excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
- Must be self-motivated, hands-on team leader with strong communications, networking, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage several projects at once and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of attention to detail and quality of programming, service, and facilities.