The Senior Development Manager / Development Director will be our first devoted development staff, and will work with AFREF Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Board to develop and execute a strategy to increase revenue streams and forge new relationships to build the organization’s capacity for our next 10 years.
Job responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer and Board to develop and implement fundraising strategy and donor development infrastructure
- Forge new relationships to enhance the organizations vision, impact and financial resources; Develop strategies to attract and steward donors; identify, cultivate and apply for new funding streams each year
- Conduct the full range of activities required to research, write and prepare grant proposals and reports to foundations
- Craft other donor facing materials to highlight and update on our work
- Provide support for the Executive Director, who has been the organizations principle fundraiser to date, and guidance to staff as required, on donor solicitations
- Work closely with AFREF staff to learn about their work, describe it effectively, and think through opportunities to fund key projects
- In collaboration with the grants manager and COO, ensure accurate and timely input of donor data and production of accurate internal reports
- In collaboration with the grants manager and COO, ensure timely and high-quality submissions of grants and reports to funders
The ideal candidate will be an institutional and individual fundraiser with a track record of raising new revenue, and have a strong commitment to economic and racial justice, a solid understanding of philanthropy and fundraising practices, and an interest in building an effective development infrastructure.
In addition, candidates should have:
- 5+ years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising or related fields, and be a strong generalist with significant experience in securing grants and major gifts
- Creative thinking skills and the ability to proactively develop new ideas and solve problems
- Excellent writing skills across a variety of formats including grants and donor collateral
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to present sophisticated programmatic strategies and activities in narratives that are approachable for and tailored to specific funder audiences
- Significant relationship building experience and a track record of successful solicitations
- Proven experience managing, prioritizing and meeting multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort with complex policy, and eagerness to learn new subject matter
Salary and benefits: salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401k, paid holidays and sick leave, and transportation assistance.
AFREF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest, a resume, 2 writing samples, and three references to Darrell Diggins, at: [email protected]. (Enter “Development” in subject line.)