The Strategy Director is a key member of the Strategy, Innovation and Research team and partners with members of the ASI Leadership team to lead the development of business diversification strategies for ASI. Examples of areas for strategy development may include defining corporate vision, new whitespace areas, strengthening current operating models, or developing an in depth strategy and roadmap for a current area of focus (e.g., Health, Finance and Lifestyle)). The Director takes a consumer centric approach to identify key needs of consumers/members (jobs-to-be-done), identifies market trends, provides relevant environmental landscape, interviews internal and external experts, identifies new business or operating model, and works with a cross functional team of ASI stakeholders to identify strategy recommendations. Director will develop ASI strategy documents both presentation and prose and will socialize internally and present to senior management for approval. Key responsibilities include:
- Identify and evaluate new consumer needs states, business opportunities, product and service solutions that further the company’s strategic growth objectives (Business Diversification in particular)
- Cultivates deep understanding of consumers/members through human center design including assessing needs, identifying pain points/barriers, ideating value proposition and solutions, and estimating demand
- Cultivates deep understanding of marketplace including conducting relevant marketplace assessments, mapping competitive landscape, understanding revenue models, and identifying and building the case for ASI’s business model and opportunity
- Develops and presents strategic recommendation and roadmaps and gains consensus with a cross/functional team of ASI/AARP stakeholders
- Forges and maintains relationships with key stakeholders across ASI ecosystem including senior executives
- Leads cross-functional team the development of new concepts, new product development and implementation plans including evaluating new business models for diversification (could be unbranded and addressing the 50+ at large, beyond just the AARP Membership
- Directs the buildup, documentation, and ongoing management of business diversification capabilities, including processes, tools, templates and internal communication (common language dictionary and change management)
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in consulting, strategy development, marketing, or product development. Experience in industries covering finance, health and lifestyle and developing new strategic areas of focus, business models, and working with emerging companies a plus.
- Proven strategic thinker with prior experience in identifying, analyzing, developing, and supporting the launch of innovative new products, marketing strategies, and programs leveraging customer insights, market trends, environmental scan, and creative solutions.
- Leadership experience in developing new strategies and capabilities, and execution across large organizations with cross-functional experience. Proven matrix lead experience.
- Ability to assess strategic options for potential revenue and engagement growth, overall value, and risk assessment. Ability to develop an implementation plan from strategies.
- Proven leadership skills and management experience at all levels within an organization (up, across, down) and effectiveness in a matrix organization.
- Results oriented, decisive, and analytical, leading to creative solutions, while managing key stakeholder involvement.
- Good communicator (written, presentation) and excellent interpersonal skills. Exhibit positive, enthusiastic attitude with member focus, while motivating others to lead.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and respond to the needs of target audiences and consumer segments.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly collaborative and flexible with iterative approaches. Comfortable with ambiguity. Willing to build business diversification discipline through trials and errors
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.