This role is responsible for proactively identifying and evaluating key strategic partners that deliver long-term profitable growth and social impact across AARP and its subsidiaries. The Enterprise Strategic Relationship team plays a critical role in partnership planning and development by aligning AARP’s strategy with partners and alliances to create positive social change and increase the bottom line. The Enterprise Relationship Director identifies strategies that take into consideration AARP’s long-term business objectives and the competitive/business environment.
This role is also responsible for managing a portfolio of clients while also identifying and securing new relationships. Working across AARP, this role aligns existing partnerships and serves as a primary POC for the enterprise. This position reports to the VP, Enterprise Strategic Relationships and Alliances.
Specifically, the Enterprise Strategic Relationship Director, will:
- Building and Delivering Proactive Relationships: Grow, steward and develop a portfolio of partnerships (new and existing) with leading multi-national corporations and non-profits/foundations aligned with AARP strategy. Expand partnering possibilities through meaningful dialogues. Lead and develop the partnering approach/strategy and participate in negotiation of partner agreements with AARP teams and legal. Shape business development opportunities and other growth strategies.
- Expanding AARP Partner EcoSystem: Lead and develop strategic recommendations through rigorous analysis, marketplace evaluation, consumer insights, and understanding of AARP strategic priorities. Accountable for driving partnership value and ensuring one AARP voice in our approach. Identify unmet needs, goals, opportunities and challenges in existing partner relationship/structure and creating a strategic plan to drive value.
- Fostering Collaboration Across the Enterprise: Work across the enterprise (AARP, AARP Foundation and AARP Services Inc.) to align organizational goals, partner objectives, and consumer/member needs. Work across the organization to create a transparent process, avoid duplication in dialogues and create a cohesive enterprise approach to partner discussions. Ensure the smooth transition of newly-established and/or extended relationship to appropriate business units while maintaining a clear line of communication on relevant updates. Leverage and coordinate with finance, legal, DAPM, AARP Services Inc and AARP Foundation and other units for external marketplace and financial analysis.
- Portfolio Management: Actively manage a pipeline of new opportunities and clearly articulate the goal of each partnership and its value to the organization. Track, analyze and review commitments and required actions of partners and AARP and course correct if needed. Develop and manage partnership framework to help shape legal agreements and ensure clear understanding of the agreements by internal teams.
- Strong relationship skills for dealing with a range of partners and industries. Ability to build strong relationships (internally and externally), identify matching synergies and secure desired commitments.
- Experience in creating and executing partnerships that rely on creative financing mechanisms.
- Consulting experience with experience in technology, health or finance
- Ability to communicate clearly and articulately both internally and externally
- Demonstrated analytical experience in developing, collecting, analyzing and reporting key metrics to partners (internally and externally)
- Experience working in a matrixed environment
- Experience in contracting and/or negotiation required
- This position is based in Washington, DC but must be willing to travel to existing and potential partner sites and/or other organizational related events (about 50% travel)
Other desired skills and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport across the enterprise and with clients while quickly and confidently gaining respect of others
- Ability to work at a fast pace while tracking a high-level of evolving details
- Excellent writing and presentation skills including ability to create presentations for review by all levels
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve
- Outstanding attention to detail including strong organization and project management skills
- Acute listening skills with the ability to efficiently sort facts, demonstrating sound-judgement
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.