Position Location: Washington D.C. with Hybrid Work Schedule, Requiring 3-Days of In-Office Presence
Who We Are
Since 1981, Families USA Foundation has been a leading national voice for health care consumers. Through our long-standing relationships of consumer leaders, advocates, and partner organizations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, we have remained steadfast in our mission – Dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable healthcare and improved health for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient-and community-centered health system.
We are looking for a Senior Policy Analyst will provide data-driven expertise in policy analysis and strategy specifically to support our value center work. Central to this role, this person will conduct research and analysis to develop policy recommendations related to health care payment and delivery system reform and lead project work at the state and federal level. In collaboration with other internal staff and external partners, develop policy recommendations in the health care and payment delivery system reform arena to bring about change and inform the development of strategies to advance and implement policy recommendations.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop a high level of expertise in Families USA’s health policy areas of focus and projects, specifically in the area of health care financing, health care value and payment delivery system reform.
- Work closely with the Director of Health Care Innovation and the senior leadership team in setting organizational policy goals and direction, developing policy recommendations, and identifying strategies and tactics to advance policy priorities.
- Lead and manage projects related to health care value and other state and federal health policy issues.
- Review and analyze, data, policy literature, laws and regulations to inform organizational policy recommendations and identify opportunities for affecting policy change.
- Prepare high-quality memoranda, regulatory comments, issue briefs, fact sheets, and blogs for a variety of audiences.
- Provide overall project and grant management, including ensuring that overall strategy is implemented, existing deliverables are completed on schedule, and necessary meetings are scheduled and appropriately planned.
- Review draft deliverables from colleagues and junior staff to ensure high quality work products as they move through the organization’s review process.
- Contribute to strategic thinking around the organizational policy agenda and establish thought leadership in the health policy field.
- Track policy updates and help keep organization abreast of changes in policy.
- Collaborate regularly with the Strategic Partnerships team and with state, national and industry-level advocates surrounding policy initiatives, policy developments and providing technical assistance.
- Represent Families USA at external meetings, policy advisory panels, coalitions, working groups and at conferences, as requested.
- Contribute to the policy workshop agenda for the annual Health Action Conference.
Master’s degree preferred in health or public policy or a JD or equally relevant experience in a senior level policy position. Minimum of 4-6 years of experience with expertise in health care financing, health care payment and delivery system reform. A passion for social justice and Families USA’s mission.
To perform successfully in this role, applicant should possess the specific knowledge, skills and abilities outlined below:
Knowledge (acquired information necessary to do the job, kind of knowledge required for the job)
- Expert knowledge and understanding of health care financing, health care economics, and payment and deliver reform.
- Knowledge of using data and evidence to advocate for policy change, conduct policy analyses.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes, federal health care programs and strategies for advocating for policy solutions in those forums, both at the state and federal levels.
Skills (position-specific learned activity, generally gained through training)
- Exceptional research, writing, and analytical skills with the ability to analyze and synthesize laws, regulations and legislation.
- Exceptional project management, organizational and leadership skills to ensure successful project execution.
- Strong interpersonal skills that motivate colleagues, inspire top quality work product from project teams and engage internally and external with Families USA’s staff and external partners.
- Capacity to handle multiple competing priorities – including ability to be agile and work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills to smooth working relationships internally and foster trust and dependability with partners.
- Strategic and outside-of-the-box thinking across the health policy issues areas.
- A highly motivated team player who contributes to an atmosphere in which people collaborate enthusiastically and effectively to produce results.
Abilities (position-specific talents; potential to perform tasks or functions)
- Ability to prepare high quality regulatory comments, reports, issues briefs, fact sheets, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to complete succinct policy briefs as well as more in-depth reports.
- Ability to lead and execute highly impactful projects, including the utilization of project management software.
- Ability to identify obstacles and address problems cooperatively and in a timely manner.
- Ability to convey constructive feedback to peers and team members.
- Ability to work independently and in close coordination with teams with minimal supervision.
We offer a dynamic, empowering, and collaborative work environment that allows staff to reach their full potential. We provide an extremely attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, hybrid work schedule: 3 days in office/2 optional WFH days, medical, dental, vision, disability and life, 403(b) retirement matching plan, 3+ weeks’ vacation, ten (10) Federal holidays and our offices are closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day and many more exciting benefit programs. Salary will be commensurate with experience, our salary range for this role is $80K - $92K.
How to Apply
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply online and include in your application: your cover letter, resume and a writing sample. Families USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, results of genetic testing, or service in the military.