Provides administrative and legal support for the Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE) Executive Director and two attorney managers. Communicates with clients, pro bono attorneys, board members (including, AARP executives, partners at law firms, and attorneys in the general counsel office at corporations), and personnel employed by DC government agencies and at other related entities. Conducts research, prepares presentation decks, and performs database case management documentation tasks.
- Provides general administrative support, such as scheduling and coordinating meetings, preparing presentation materials, preparing and managing expense reports, updating spreadsheets, managing distribution lists, and tracking court deadlines.
- Performs both legal and non-legal research and investigative work using on-line tools such as Lexis-Nexis, Westlaw, the Internet, etc.
- Drafts written communications, such as e-mails, letters, memos, and other documents.
- Corresponds with members of the board of directors and advisory committee to convey and gather information.
- Assists with client interviews and legal intakes -- places calls to clients, witnesses, courts, local government agencies, and other entities on behalf of LCE clients.
- Provides other legal support and is responsible for database case management documentation tasks, such as creating and updating cases and projects, case reporting, case notes, case closures, and grant reporting and timekeeping to ensure timely resolution of legal matters and efficient administration of LCE programs and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to effectively manage and prioritize numerous competing tasks.
- Advanced reasoning abilities, good judgment, and able to reliably navigate complex, sensitive, and sometimes confidential issues and information.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to listen empathetically and to provide clear, concise information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including professionalism in interacting with clients, as well as senior executives.
- Advanced command of Microsoft suite of products including, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Working familiarity with Outlook and/or Office 365. Strong knowledge of and experience with database case management systems.
- Able to think creatively and bring ideas to life to create presentation materials
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.