World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Food Waste Data Analyst Intern.
The production and consumption of food constitutes the biggest environmental threat to our planet. Eliminating waste and shifting consumption patterns represents our biggest opportunity to establish sustainable and regenerative food systems. Addressing food waste is critical – from field - to fork - to landfill. WWF’s Food Waste program is focused on institutional engagement and behavior change with private and public-sector partners. Our goal is to increase the speed and scale of solutions that make a more sustainable future possible. We accomplish this by convening science-based, multi-stakeholder groups to build awareness and consensus around urgent issues and trends and develop approaches to advance innovation and accelerate change at scale. This internship provides an opportunity for an undergraduate student to learn more about environmental sustainability, specifically food waste prevention and recovery, by working on an initiative that is focused on analyzing global solutions related to food system efficiency and consumption.
This internship will work directly with the Director and the Senior Program Officer of the Food Waste program and will support ongoing research efforts and in-depth data analysis, with specific focus on the hospitality industry and the food retailing industry. This position will be a great educational experience and may help pilot interventions with private sector partners that attempt to find food waste prevention best practices.
- Analyze data from multiple sources including food costs, sales data (POS), waste disposal, composting, anaerobic digestion, and weights & measures from food waste pilot programs.
- Develop analyses and create reports and provide insights for the Food Waste team.
- Data collection, entry, blending, management, analysis, and visualization.
- Able to commit to 10-25 hours/week for 3 months
- Must have extremely strong proficiency in MS Excel, PivotTables, data analysis, and creating visual data presentations.
- Tableau, MS PowerBI, D3.js/AngularJS, or other visualization experience preferred.
- R or Python data manipulation experience preferred.
- Proactive and creative problem-solving; good communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong research, and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail are obligatory;
- Ability to work productively on both independent research assignments and as part of a team;
- Fluency in English is required.