For more than 50 years, The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has been protecting the future of nature. The world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and more than five million supporters globally. WWF’s Science program ensures that organizational strategies, policies and actions across our Network are driven by the best science, that WWF is a global voice for science leadership and innovation, and that conservation implementation is evidence-based. Together, under the Chief Scientist’s leadership we ensure the rapid delivery of science to support solutions that result in meaningful outcomes for people and the planet. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, and where a focus on impact is a way of life.
Provides confidential administrative and operational support to the executive for all aspects of the Science program using extensive knowledge of WWF’s policies, organization, and a high level of technical skill. Responsible for the coordination of executive and administrative functions on behalf of the executive and leadership team. This position operates with considerable independent judgment and initiative, partnership with leadership, and contributes to the efficient and smooth functioning of the program and the positive culture of the team.
Executive and Administrative Support
- Coordinates and maintains calendar for the Chief Scientist/Senior Vice President on Outlook, reconciling conflicts proactively. Coordinates all aspects of meetings, travel, trainings, and other events.
- Prepares and collects meeting materials, itineraries, and briefs. Seeks to provide a comprehensive suite of technical and logistical information to ensure the executive is successful and meets objectives.
- Organizes and attends regular team meetings. Coordinates and communicates logistics for team staff. Drafts and distributes agenda, notes, and supporting materials to attendees in a timely manner.
- Answers complex inquiries requiring detailed knowledge of program procedures. Screens, routes, answers phone calls and responds to routine and non-routine requests with diplomacy and discretion. Attends internal and external meetings as a representative of the department and provides appropriate summaries and follow-up.
- Monitors incoming email and requests. Updates and manages executive’s contacts and to do list, monitors deadlines, follows up on delegated tasks, and provides proactive reminders.
- Tracks executive’s expenses and prepares expense reports promptly (within 5 days of receiving receipts.)
- Drafts letters, documents and other materials for staff, inter-department meetings, and outside individuals. Proofreads and edits documents, reports, proposals, and presentations. Assists with preparation of executive’s proposals and presentations.
- Provides general administrative support, including notetaking, photocopying/scanning, collating and distributing materials, ordering publications, and purchasing office supplies.
- Maintains filing and archiving systems (physical and digital), ensuring that up-to-date versions of documents such as strategic plans and presentations, individual objectives and work plans, job descriptions and agreements are easily accessible.
Operations and Office Support
- Works with Chief Scientist and Senior Director, Strategic Engagement to streamline administrative and operations functions across the team.
- Maintains team organizational chart, distribution lists, and annual leave schedules and team calendar.
- Plans and coordinates logistics for team meetings and retreats.
- Coordinates performance evaluation process for the executive’s direct reports.
- Coordinates leadership staff recruiting and onboarding on behalf of SVP, including organizing information associated with the recruiting process (e.g., track process, collate candidate materials, schedule interviews, coordinate recruiting meetings, and consults in selection process) and ensuring new hires are successfully onboarded.
- Assists strategic engagement and communications staff to provide information and follow up in the promotion of the program and our scientists.
- Applies excellent organizational, research, communication, and planning skills in operations support as needed.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Planning and Program Operations Support
- Works with staff, program operations, finance and accounting staff to assist the Chief Scientist and Senior Director, Strategic Engagement in preparing and monitoring annual work plans aligned to annual budget and monthly expenses.
- Oversees executive’s expenses and is responsible for prompt expense reports, payments, travel grants and agreements directed by the executive.
- Coordinates with Senior Assistant to align budget, expenses, and agreements to ensure an efficient accounting-programmatic workflow across the team.
- Supports the Chief Scientist in drafting scopes of work, monitoring deliverables, and routing agreements and contracts for grantees, vendors and consultants, together with program operations and accounting teams to ensure that deliverables are met, obligations are fulfilled, and invoices processed in a timely manner.
- Five years of demonstrated and progressively responsible experience in administrative positions, including at least five years in an executive office.
- High degree of knowledge, competence, and application of executive and administrative competencies, including excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to operate with considerable independence, take initiative, prioritize, and meet deadlines is required.
- Must be flexible
- Demonstrated acumen for attention to detail, proactive problem solving, and critical thinking.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing. Excellent proofreading, editing and writing skills. Honed interpersonal skills requiring courtesy, tact and diplomacy necessary to effectively communicate with US and international staff, callers and visitors is critical.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), SharePoint, Zoom, Skype for Business and similar programs is required. Knowledge of Google Suite (Google Drive, Google Sites, Google Calendar) is highly desired.
- Ability to operate standard office machines and equipment, including computers, fax machines, copiers, and telephone system. Ability to type at least 60 words per minute.
- Fluency in PC and Mac environments is highly desired.