Reporting directly to the VP of Member Benefit Communications, this position will lead a team responsible for communicating the value and impact of AARP Membership, primarily targeted to our existing 37 million member base. Position is responsible for the strategy development, planning, execution and analysis of cross-channel marketing campaigns to increase benefit awareness, satisfaction and engagement throughout the membership life cycle.
This role acts as the brand steward for AARP’s membership benefits and drives adoption of strategies and communications across the Enterprise.
This matrix leadership role will also be responsible for executing multiple projects through partnership and coordination with peers and leaders in other departments. The position also involves providing advisory and strategic direction to groups across the enterprise, related to communicating member benefits and membership value.
Core responsibilities are in the areas of strategic planning & brand integration, member benefits content management & consultation, campaign development & analytical oversight and digital experience creation to ensure an optimal member experience.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & INTEGRATION:
- Directs and oversees the team responsible for the member benefits branding strategy, implementation plan and measurement framework across the Enterprise so that members can easily identify and understand their benefits, improving the overall member experience
- Key lead on the strategy development, roadmap and measurement plan. Includes establishing vision, and strategy, setting quantifiable goals, identifying: priority audiences, key offerings, appropriate tactics, timing and tracking/analytics for an overarching multi-channel, multi- million dollar member benefit communications strategy and related campaigns.
- Consults and advises on strategic value creation initiatives and how to effectively communicate member benefits that offer significant value to our members to contribute to business development decisions.
- Oversees the awards strategy that creates positive public opinion about what AARP is doing for its members through the development and submission of various award categories that are available via highly recognizable and respectable professional/trade organizations.
- Serves as liaison and key partner to AARP Service Inc. for the area of overseeing quality control and management of member benefit communications related to commercial offerings.
- Serve as a liaison and key partner to our AARP Experience (Customer Experience) initiatives to improve communication and engagement with our Member Benefits and implement bodies of work that can solve for member experience pain points. Ensure that member feedback from Voice of the Customer programs is collected and addressed in our strategies and programs, wherever possible.
- Oversee the quarterly and ongoing assessment of benefit experience journeys to ensure that communications and access to all member benefits that are featured in communications meet the required experience principles.
MEMBER BENEFITS CONTENT MANAGEMENT & CONSULTATION:
Directs and manages the team responsible for maintaining and optimizing the member benefit content management and calendaring functions. Including but not limited to the following:
- Oversees process and communications related to informing Association of new, changed and sunset member benefit offers to ensure timely response and quality control.
- Oversees the development and distribution of the extensive offer messaging repository which houses all legally approved, member-facing benefit messages in English and Spanish and other languages as requested in the future. Also responsible for coordination with digital, automated content management system.
- Oversees the central member benefit communications calendar and benefit placement consulting function. Develops and implements the strategy to deliver real-time offers to members at key touchpoints. Manages the placement, planning, prioritization, and/or personalization of offers and oversees the reporting/analytics of featured offers in benefit communications.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the new consumer-facing strategy for communicating changes in member benefits (new, changed or sunset benefits)
- Reviews all concept documentation and deal term summaries for prospective providers to ensure potential new benefits are aligned with what we can communicate effectively to our members
CAMPAIGN & ANALYTICAL OVERSIGHT
Directs and oversees the team responsible for creative campaign development, marketing plan development, research, tactical execution and measurement for member benefit campaign efforts. Works across the Enterprise to create new communication approaches that solve key business and consumer pain points as well as amplify the value voice for all that AARP membership offers. Drives the strategy that unifies the member benefits communications experience factoring in share of voice and internal marketing cannibalization. Develops performance reporting, analyze actuals versus goal and optimize campaigns based on results. Creates new reporting frameworks where appropriate. Responsibilities include, but aren’t limited to the following:
- Oversees the testing and optimizing of internal and external channels that generate high value and impact to communicate member value comprehensively and contextually in print, digital, mobile social and event communications.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a “Help” response strategy for new/emerging platforms to respond to user inquiries on benefit content including chat, artificial intelligence, social response, call center, etc.
- Develops audience campaign strategies to better engage priority sub-segments with their member benefits.
- Partners and collaborates with the Member on-boarding team to ensure strategies and tactics within new member lifecycle are aligned and integrated with member benefit communication strategies.
DIGTAL EXPERIENCE INTEGRATION
Plays a key leadership role in our vision and strategies to transform the member benefit experience in digital properties. Serves as key partner and co-lead to drive innovation and integration in our digital member benefit experiences, this includes strategy, development, operations and measurement of initiatives to transform our digital benefit experiences.
All work streams will require:
- Advanced leadership, communications, and team-building skills with the ability to motivate teams through both direct and indirect reporting relationships and large matrixed teams.
- Strategic and critical thinking, comfortable using qualitative and quantitative information to make decisions and solve problems.
- Customer-centric mind-set
- Budget management, including the development of timelines, purchase orders, budget tracking etc. Management of budget process including forecasting, monthly accruals and invoicing, quarterly re-forecasts etc.
- Demonstrate world-class cultural attributes and behaviors in all interactions.
- Strong partnership with internal business units, channel owners and outside agencies to develop, launch and optimize campaign components.
- Agency and vendor management, defines and manage project scopes, briefs and deliverables, including business and technical requirements.
- Ownership of measurement and reporting plans, working with Business Analytics team to ensure necessary business case development that meets objectives.
- Strong communication skills including oral/written plans and presentations that demonstrate a holistic story.
This position leads extremely complex strategic initiatives, working across the organization to deliver on top enterprise priorities. The impact to the members and organization are significant. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate the following:
- 10+ years of progressive experience in marketing, communications or related field.
- 5 or more years of management experience in a team-oriented workplace, preferred.
- Receives solid guidance and direction on overarching strategy and objectives but daily management or outcomes, decisions and deliverables are made independently based on established standards and process.
- This position requires flexibility, solid communication and presentation skills, and the ability partner across multiple business units and external stakeholders.
- Proven leadership skills and management experience required. Must be able to build organizational talent and develop the team. requires the ability to negotiate, persuade and collaborate in a complex, relationship-focused, matrix organization
- As a people manager, this role is responsible for managing and developing a team
- Agency experience and/or expertise in oversight and management of external vendors is strongly desired.
- Experience in managing multiple stakeholder requests and day-to-day operations to achieve success. Strong organizational skills and ability to meet high standards for quality and accuracy.
- Significant multi-channel marketing experience with proven track record. Proven strategic thinking and analytical skills to drive successful marketing programs.
- Must be able to work independently and to manage projects in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated, confident, with a collaborative work-style.
- Experience working within a matrixed organization where success was dependent on influence if not direct control.
- Must be a self- starter, excellent initiator and outstanding communicator with solid presentation experience.
- Demonstrated, successful experience in integrated marketing programs across multiple channels. Experience with direct-response and data driven marketing campaigns.
- Experienced in operational details of campaign management, e.g. data & technical requirements, reporting processes etc.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.