ABOUT THE ACCOUNTABILITY FRAMEWORK INITIATIVE
In recent years, hundreds of companies have made commitments to eliminate deforestation and human exploitation from their agriculture and forestry supply chains. These pledges are a promising development for forests and peoples. However, their fulfillment is hindered by the lack of a credible, consistent, and widely-accepted framework for implementing these commitments and for monitoring, verifying, and reporting progress and outcomes.
To address this gap and accelerate progress toward fulfilling company supply chain commitments, the Accountability Framework initiative (AFi) is developing and promoting an “Accountability Framework” consisting of common definitions, norms, and guidelines for effective and credible implementation of such commitments. Launched in late 2016, the AFi is led by a coalition of respected environmental and social NGOs with Rainforest Alliance and the Meridian Institute co-hosting the secretariat (Backbone Team). For more information, please visit: https://accountability-framework.org.
Rainforest Alliance is recruiting a Communications Manager to serve as an integral part of the AFi Backbone Team.
As an integral part of the AFi team, the Communications Specialist will contribute to the team’s overall mission of accelerating progress and enhancing accountability and transparency of agricultural and forestry supply chains with an aim towards curtailing deforestation, ecosystem destruction, land grabbing, and human rights violations. The Communications Specialist will support overall management of AFi’s communications portfolio and implementation of the program’s communications strategy in collaboration with the global communications teams of the AFi’s Steering Group members to drive the promotion, uptake, endorsement and adoption of the initiative as defined in the AFi communications and uptake strategy. Responsibilities include the creation, implementation and oversight of AFi communications to internal and external audiences; development of materials and content; media outreach; ; support participation at events with key strategic partners; coordinate AFi outreach activities and communications with AFi Steering Group member organizations’ comms teams; and support AFi regional partners and working groups communications needs.
- Support the development and implementation of the AFi communications and uptake strategy for promoting broad application of the Accountability Framework by key stakeholders;
- Lead and coordinate the development of AFi communications materials in all relevant forms, including e-mail messages, website content, newsletters, press releases, bylined articles, white papers, videos, infographics, branding, and any other necessary materials;
- Support the development of presentations, speaking points, speeches and other communications materials for external events, outreach and public consultations of the AFi;
- Support the communications needs of AFi partners in tropical commodity-producing regions, including the coordination of translations and development of materials for events and other regional outreach needs;
- Coordinate closely with the communications teams of AFi Steering Group member organizations to promote harmonized messaging, cross-promotion, and synergies in content dissemination;
- Coordinate AFi presence at key events and assist in preparing AFi Steering Group and team members for such events, including keeping an updated tracker of external events, preparing presentations, and participating in meetings, as needed;
- Lead the recruitment and supervision of specialized communications contractors, as needed;
- Assist in the development of any necessary communications materials and presentations for the AFi governing body (Steering Group) and working groups;
- Together with the Senior Program Manager and Program Associate, support the design and coordinate the development of user interfaces to deliver the Accountability Framework to target users, while working to ensure usability and functionality;
- Support the Rainforest Alliance web team in maintaining and enhancing the AFi website with updated content and materials;
- Participate in internal and external meetings, as assigned; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, international development, social sciences, or a related field;
- At least 3-5 years of progressively responsible work experience in related fields;
- Superior English language writing abilities;
- Meticulous attention to detail, including superior editing and proofreading skills;
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills, including an ability to present ideas clearly and compellingly in both small groups and public speaking contexts;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply creative approaches to synthesize complex and technical topics for a variety of audiences
- Advanced proficiency in creating documents and presentations using the Microsoft Office suite;
- Excellent planning, project management and time management skills;
- Strong organizational skills with self-motivation to learn new topics and self-initiative establish and maintain effective structure in a dynamic working environment;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media, especially where applied to international development and the private sector;
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and stakeholders from diverse organizations and cultural backgrounds;
- Experience working on environment and development issues, ideally in relation to commodity supply chains in developing countries;
- Work experience in the private sector – or on communications-oriented toward private sector audiences – is a plus; and
- Proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia, Spanish, Portuguese, or French is a plus.
Apply online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=rainalli&job.... Please furnish a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of two professional or academic references, and two of your own work samples (preferably one narrative written product and one other sample that uses a graphical, web, video, or other format to convey complex or technical concepts to non-technical audiences) totaling no more than 20 pages. Combine the cover letter, resume, references, and work samples into one single document for upload into the online system.