The Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) seeks an enterprising, highly organized, results-oriented Communications Manager to join our small, dynamic, and collaborative team. The ideal candidate must be a strong writer with a demonstrated ability to coordinate and implement communications strategies across a range of channels and organizational functions.
The Communications Manager leverages the power of public relations and communications to build community and propel the landscape architecture discipline forward while supporting LAF programs, events, and fundraising efforts. This position offers an opportunity to grow with the organization as additional communications capacity is added. The full-time, 40 hour/week position is located in Washington, DC and requires occasional travel within the U.S. LAF staff work a hybrid schedule with at least two fixed days per week in LAF’s downtown DC office.
LAF is a national, 501(c)(3) charitable organization that invests in research, scholarships, and leadership initiatives to increase the influence and impact of landscape architects and strengthen the discipline to take on defining issues like climate change and inequity. The Communications Manager joins a passionate and forward-thinking team that is engaged with the leaders and next practices in landscape architecture.
This position is responsible for the creation and dissemination of content across native and social media platforms, through media partnerships, and utilizing earned media. The Communications Manager will develop, write, design, and edit effective materials and messages that serve as the voice of LAF and are tailored to LAF’s key audiences, which include landscape architecture practitioners, academics, and students; donors; partner and funder organizations; and built environment professionals.
Core responsibilities include managing LAF’s various cyclical communications about programs and events, leading short-term campaigns, tracking coverage, working with media partners, and analyzing communications data to provide actionable insights. This role also supports LAF’s development and fundraising efforts through storytelling and other content to showcase impact.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Programs & Communications. As staff in a small organization, the Communications Manager also serves on an integrated team providing input and support to LAF’s programmatic, event, outreach, and partnership initiatives, as well as operations and strategic planning.
Planning and Strategy
- Work with the Senior Director of Programs & Communications to build and hone LAF’s brand and develop benchmarks and strategies to increase awareness of LAF and landscape architecture
- Develop and implement quarterly communications plans to support annual program, event, and fundraising objectives and long-term goals
- Monitor communications and media trends to identify new opportunities
- Write cyclical program and event announcements and disseminate them through digital channels
- Create content (copy and images) to maintain and regularly update the LAF website
- Lead the production of monthly e-newsletter and digital annual reports, including writing, editing, and formatting
- Conceptualize stories, do research, and conduct interviews to craft compelling messages and stories about the impact of LAF and landscape architecture
- Manage LAF social media accounts including LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook and develop plans and benchmarks for increasing followers and engagement
- Monitor, share, and engage on topics of interest
- Create integrated media materials, including press releases, articles, pitch letters, and social media messages to distribute to media contacts
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain ongoing relationships with key media outlets, organizations, influencers, and journalists
- Manage and update media contact lists, including social media accounts
- Pitch stories and LAF events to diverse media, including traditional reporters, bloggers, nonprofit organizations, and digital influencers
Data Analysis, Tracking and Reporting
- Monitor and measure the effectiveness of individual campaigns
- Track media coverage and mentions on digital and social media channels
- Monitor website, newsletter, and social media analytics and produce quarterly reports
- Analyze and interpret data to develop insights and recommendations for LAF communications, programs, and other initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field; equivalent experience will be considered
- 3-5 years of work experience and demonstrated success in communications, preferably with a nonprofit or social impact organization or company
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop press releases, social media posts, and stories of impact
- Strong attention to detail and an eye for design
- Ability to plan, manage competing priorities, track and meet deadlines, and execute a variety of tasks and responsibilities
- Strong computer skills and tech savvy, including proficiency in MS Office Suite and image manipulation software
- Experience with email marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp)
- Experience with social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), dashboards (e.g. Hootsuite), and best practices for content creation, sharing, and engagement
- Familiarity with website content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal)
- High initiative and self-motivation with consistent demonstration as a successful, high-level performer
- Subject matter expertise or strong interest in sustainable design, green urbanism, and/or equitable development
- Hands-on experience in creating, launching, and managing communication campaigns to achieve specific objectives
- Understanding of content marketing and donor-focused storytelling
- Skills and experience in graphic design, video editing, and/or photography
- Comfort with Adobe Creative Suite, social and media monitoring platforms (e.g. Meltwater), and editing to follow style guides (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style)
- Experience in managing team members, staff, volunteers, or consultants to produce communications materials
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary range is $60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with experience, plus the opportunity for an annual performance bonus of up to 5% of salary. LAF offers opportunities for growth based on employee performance. LAF provides a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, life, and disability insurance, vacation/sick pay, and an employer-matching 401(k) program.
The ideal start date is July 2022.
LAF staff work a hybrid schedule with at least two days per week when all staff are expected to be on-site in LAF’s office. The office is located in downtown Washington, D.C., is easily accessible by multiple public transit options, and has an on-site fitness facility, secure bike parking, roof deck, and additional amenities.
Submit letter of interest, resume, and three references to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Manager position.” Please indicate how you found this opportunity. No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.