Family Planning 2020 (FP2020) is a global partnership with the goal of enabling 120 million additional women and girls in the lowest income countries to access and use rights-based family planning by 2020. The partnership supports the rights of women and girls to decide, freely and for themselves, whether, when and how many children they want to have. FP2020 provides a platform to enhance information sharing and to support the coordination of efforts across the larger FP2020 community to advance access to family planning information, services, and contraceptives under the guiding principles of rights, quality, equity, and voluntarism. The FP2020 Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Foundation in Washington DC.
The Communications Director, FP2020, serves as the lead for all the Secretariat’s communications functions, shaping the vision and strategic direction of the communications portfolio in collaboration with Secretariat leadership and key external partners. The Communications Director oversees the communications team’s messaging, digital and traditional media, website development and content, events, knowledge management, external outreach and products, branding, and FP2020’s annual Progress Report. The Director collaborates closely with the United Nations Foundation Public Affairs team as well as a broad array of partners to ensure FP2020 communications are as strategic and effective as possible.
As FP2020 is a timebound initiative, the partnership will be developing and then transitioning into the second phase of the partnership through 2021. The Communications Director will play a vital role in guiding that transition through strategic communications, external outreach, development of new language and branding, and helping the Secretariat navigate that change.
The Communications Director is a senior member of the FP2020 Secretariat and a member of the UN Foundation Public Affairs Team. He/she reports to FP2020’s Executive Director and works closely with communications counterparts at partner organizations, including FP2020’s core convening partners: USAID, UNFPA, DFID, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Additionally, the director manages a global consortium of senior communicators working in the family planning and HIV sectors with annual meetings and a listserv.
- In partnership with FP2020’s leadership, manage messaging and external positioning, including ensuring consistent language, tone, and branding for all externally-facing products and platforms.
- Manage communications team members, budget, vendors, and a large and wide-ranging project portfolio.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the communications team and broader Secretariat on messaging, talking points, and branding.
- Develop and execute an integrated communications strategy and an annual work plan that make best use of communications resources, platforms, and channels, and ensure that efforts best position FP2020 to achieve the partnership’s strategic priorities.
- Provide creative direction and oversee entire production and launch of FP2020’s Annual Progress Report. This includes managing the writing, design, print, digital, and translated versions of the report along with all supporting assets (e.g., digital toolkits, summary brochure, data factsheets, launch webinars, etc.)
- Manage an external PR team and oversee all aspects of launch of the Annual Progress Report
- Create communications plans as needed to support the work and products of the FP2020 Secretariat’s portfolios.
- Develop and manage strong relationships with external partners to facilitate their strategic engagement with FP2020’s platforms, channels, and messaging.
- Work in close collaboration with partners to proactively identify strategic media relations opportunities and respond to media inquiries.
- Create sophisticated content and email marketing strategy to drive traffic to FP2020’s interactive, community-based website and e-newsletter.
- Develop content for communications materials such as op-eds, press releases, fact sheets, talking points, and event briefings as needed.
- Maintain an extensive editorial calendar for all online communications related to FP2020
- Ensure branding remains consistent and timely.
- Monitor and analyze web and email metrics to enhance traffic and participation on virtual platforms.
- Provide Secretariat leadership and team members with messaging guidance and support for presentations and other deliverables and ensure these conform to FP2020 brand and messaging standards.
- Represent FP2020 at meetings, conferences, and events focused on family planning issues as needed.
- Stay current with online communications, social media, and web industry standards and trends
- Work with new and existing FP2020 commitment-makers to promote commitments and amplify success stories from existing commitments.
- Work with FP2020’s Country Support team and across portfolios to support communications priorities of country partners and to amplify success stories out of the FP2020 small grants mechanism, the Rapid Response Mechanism.
- Coordinate with the UN Foundation Public Affairs Team to ensure FP2020 materials and messaging are incorporated across UN Foundation channels as appropriate.
- Knowledge and passion for family planning, global health, reproductive health, ideally with networks within sexual and reproductive health and rights community.
- A demonstrated knowledge of global and reproductive health issues and the UN system; an understanding of the UNF mission, programs, strategy, and goals; and an understanding of the global health architecture.
- A keen sense of working in collaborative initiatives/partnerships and with experience soliciting and channeling input from a broad set of stakeholders.
- Adept at strategic communications and managing processes to successfully incorporate relevant input while adhering to product schedule and quality standards.
- Exceptional managerial skills – demonstrated ability to manage several staff members and consultants is required.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills.
- Solutions-oriented, highly skilled in workplace diplomacy and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of strategy and implementation of new media skills including blogging, social networking and tapping online news outlets.
- Strong critical thinking, decision-making and project management skills.
- French language skills desirable but not required.
- Stress tolerance and resilience; sense of humor; highly organized; attention to detail; deadline-oriented and ability to work under pressure with multiple and shifting priorities
- Ability to travel internationally as needed.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through United Healthcare (PPO or CDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision discounts
- flexible spending accounts
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter benefits
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family care leave.