The Accounts Payable Manager manages the outsourced partner in order to meet AARP’s financial and strategic objectives.
Due to regulatory compliance and oversight, this position requires full comprehensive knowledge of all Accounts Payable (AP) processes, financial controls, risk and audit requirements to fully protect AARP and all subsidiaries. This position audits and analyzes internal controls to meet organizational standards, review vendor reports, and statistical metrics from a variety of sources that support decision-making recommendations for executive management. Additionally, the Accounts Payable Manager engages in team building; create a solid working relationship and willingness to be a confident decision maker by exhibiting full knowledge of all AP process.
- Manages vendor relationships to ensure they meet statement of work (SOW) contractual requirements ensuring governance protocols are followed.
- Manages vendor performance through service-level agreement (SLA) management, monitoring and trending ensuring incidents are tracked, documented and resolved by the vendor.
- Planning and organizing closely with outsourced team to insure that staffing resource levels are appropriate for the transaction volume and process workflow existing in the department.
- Influences performance of vendor by challenging vendor to increase performance levels.
- Audits processes for accounting and financial control risk
- Executes approval for all required AP tax filings to ensure they meet regulatory compliance and internal policies including year-end processing and data management.
- Builds strategic and operational goals/objectives between the vendor and others by monitoring conflict resolution of escalated vendor-related issues.
- Prepares vendor scorecard report to identify, investigate, analyze and make assessment and recommendations to AARP management on vendor progress.
- Reviews and monitors established measures of efficiency and quality of transaction processing by the outsourced team, executing changes and improvements in the process.
- Develops and implements technology enhancements that will sufficiently improve Accounts Payable’s level of efficiency through EDI, electronic invoices and consolidated billings.
- Ensures that Accounts Payable works effectively with our internal/external auditors to demonstrate that the Financial Services operational structure is in full compliance with the potential mandate for Sarbanes Oxley.
- Establishes a monthly reporting process that will provide useful reporting for the CFO and Controller to be advised of Accounts Payable’s processing results as it pertains to our payment disbursement, workflow cycle time, and open aging vouchers. This would also include the establishment of useful benchmarks to ensure that AP is working toward AARP’s strategy.
- Oversees and organizes special payment requests of complexity and/or high dollar volume or priority.
- Monitors and reinforces complete confidentiality of all financial information at all times
- Establishes and maintains excellent communication with clients in all AARP entities to allow for a joint resolution of issues and changes that could impact business unit owners/operations.
- Supports the training initiative for the Office of the Controller by coordinating all finance oriented training needs.
- Leads, coaches, motivates, and promotes training and development of others through daily communication supplemented by periodic performance feedback. Also, responsible for creating and maintaining an environment of openness, teamwork and mutual respect.
- Demonstrates AARP Values in all interactions: Impact, Innovation, Humanity, Empowerment, and Honesty
- A minimum of 8+ years of relevant experience is required.
- Current and demonstrated knowledge of all Accounts Payable processes and best practices, including financial controls, risk and audit requirements.
- Current and demonstrated knowledge of relevant regulatory and compliance standards, including GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing people and vendors is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and relationship management skills are essential.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.