The Chief Operating Officer for the Global Climate Action Summit will be employed by the United Nations Foundation and seconded to the office of the Governor of California. The COO will work with the Governor and his staff to oversee development and execution of all Summit-related activities. This will include developing and executing on an overall strategy for the Summit and managing the Summit Directors (of Production, Strategic Communications, Partnerships, and Fundraising) and their teams.
This is a full-time position beginning on December 1, 2017, and ending on December 31, 2018.
- Play a leadership role on the Summit event team in overseeing and guiding the overall logistical preparation for and execution of the Summit
- Serve as an on-the-ground focal point for general organization and coordination across Summit staff and consultants
- Manage Summit Directors (of Production, Strategic Communications, Partnerships, and Fundraising) and their teams
- Serve as focal point for information flow in support of the Office of the Governor of the State of California’s decision-making
- Monitor and track the Summit budget in close collaboration with UNF and Summit leadership.
- Manage all operational needs related to the Summit until the end of 2018, including facilitating all final payments and supporting the California team with any other needs post-Summit
- 7+ years of experience for a national or international organization and/or campaign
- Strong management experience and ability to liaise with multiple teams to drive success
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated excellence working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong professional interpersonal skills and diplomacy
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Interest, knowledge of or experience in climate policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- For full-time employees we offer an excellent range of benefits, including a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP). Dental insurance, vision discount plan, Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Long-Term Care Insurance, Health Club Discounts, Commuter Benefits, and Employee Assistance Program.
- 12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father). Access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, Flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and discounted Zipcar membership
About the Office of the Governor of California: California faces significant impacts from climate change, including rising sea levels, diminishing snow pack, increased size and intensity of wildfire, and greater impact from drought. As a result, California has taken a leadership role globally in responding to climate change and in working with subnational jurisdictions around the world to promote more aggressive action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build resilience to climate change.
California Governor Edmund Gerald (Jerry) Brown Jr. and his team will lead, organize, and host the Global Climate Action Summit in September 2018 in San Francisco, CA.
About the United Nations Foundation: The United Nations Foundation builds public-private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems, and broadens support for the United Nations through advocacy and public outreach. Through innovative campaigns and initiatives, the Foundation connects people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. The Foundation was created in 1998 as a U.S. public charity by entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner and now is supported by philanthropic, corporate, government, and individual donors.
The United Nations Foundation will serve as the fiduciary for the Global Climate Action Summit and provide strategic fundraising, partnership, and communications support.