Position Location: Washington D.C. with Hybrid Work Schedule, Requiring 3-Days of In-Office Presence
Who we are
Since 1981, Families USA Foundation has been a leading national voice for health care consumers. Through our long-standing relationships of consumer leaders, advocates, and partner organizations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, we have remained steadfast in our mission – Dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable healthcare and improved health for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient-and community-centered health system.
We are looking for a Senior Director of Health Policy who works with the Senior Leadership Team to provide a framework around the health policy priorities for the organization. Communicate and collaborate regularly with internal and external stakeholders – the Administration, Members of Congress and other key healthcare coalition partners across the country – providing strategic guidance on federal and state health policies that will improve health care and overall health of the country. Lead the Health Policy department; develop and lead project work and teams, and ensure that staff and resources are allocated appropriately. As a contributing member of the senior leadership team, work collaboratively with the team to help develop, oversee and execute on the overall success of the organization as well as oversee multiple projects and project teams
Main responsibilities include:
- Direct the organization’s policy projects, develop project priorities and strategic focus, coordinate across departments to accomplish the organization’s goals, and oversee development of the organization’s health policy content.
- Health policy expertise across all or most of organization’s four focus areas: health equity, value, coverage, and people’s experience.
- Direct strategic thinking analysis of federal and state policies and proposed policies conducted by the Health Policy Department.
- Identify and keep up to date on key current national legislative and administrative activities and economic, political, and social trends that affect the organization.
- Represent the organization at meetings and coalition roundtables, including meeting with Members of Congress and Congressional staff, Administration staff, and other key health policy leaders and stakeholders.
- Prepare the Executive Director, the Senior Leadership Team and other organizational leaders for meetings with members of Congress, Congressional staff, and senior-level staff in the Administration.
- Oversee and steward multiple project teams, including: envisioning highly impactful projects; developing project plans, key milestones and deliverables; adapting such plans, and assisting project teams to troubleshoot.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to assist in responding to timely developments on the legislative and administrative fronts, and on media opportunities.
- Act as a spokesperson on health policy issues when necessary to help build Families USA’s vision and impact. Establish and maintain role as a thought leader in the broader health policy community.
- Direct the Health Policy department team, foster an expectation of rigorous analysis and thought leadership coupled with a strong sense of mission and collaboration with advocacy efforts.
- Lead the policy research and highly impactful written content (research papers, publications, factsheets, blogs, etc.) for a diverse audience.
- Institute relationships and maintain regular communication with key funding partners.
- Work in partnership with the senior leadership team to cultivate funder relationships to increase Families USA’s major goals and initiatives and ensure department’s long-term direction and accomplishments aligns well with organization-wide strategy.
- Ensure that deliverables are produced in accordance with funded projects, provide compelling content with participation of policy team and in coordination with Fundraising team in preparing funder reports and for grant proposals.
- Collaborate with the Communications team on media opportunities and act as a spokesperson when necessary to help build Families USA’s vision and impact.
- Provide leadership and direction to department staff, including: establish priorities, coach and mentor, motivate, empower, evaluate, and identify opportunities for professional development and growth.
- Work to build a winning team that collaborates well with other teams within the organization.
Master’s degree or other graduate degree in public health policy, public policy, law, public administration, or related field and more than 10 years’ experience in health care advocacy. Experience must include high-level content knowledge, knowledge of and with federal and state-level policy-making processes (both legislative and administrative); representing an organization with media, federal and state regulators, state and national partners, and funders.
To perform successfully in this role, applicant should possess the specific knowledge, skills and abilities outlined below:
Knowledge (acquired information necessary to do the job, kind of knowledge required for the job)
- Demonstrated knowledge in policy and issue development abilities.
- Thorough understanding of project and program development, and budgeting.
- Knowledge of the health industry and social justice issues with the ability to develop and maintain strong, vibrant, strategic partnerships.
- Highly motivated team player who contributes to an atmosphere in which people collaboratively, enthusiastically and effectively produce results.
Skills (position-specific learned activity, generally gained through training)
- Exceptional oral, writing, presentation and organizational skills.
- Thoughtful leader with strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional teamwork and influencing skills.
- Capacity to handle multiple competing priorities – including ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Abilities (position-specific talents; potential to perform tasks or functions)
- Demonstrated ability to build collegial relations with coalition partners and function effectively amongst a team of dedicated professional staff.
- Ability to communicate strategically and creatively under tight deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems in a matrix team environment and lead with high energy and with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and in close coordination with teams.
- Creativity, initiative and ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment.
- Experience with working as part of a senior leadership team and leading organizational strategy.
We offer a dynamic, empowering, and collaborative work environment that allows staff to reach their full potential. We provide an extremely attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, hybrid work schedule: 3 days in office/2 optional WFH days, medical, dental, vision, disability and life, 403(b) retirement matching plan, 3+ weeks’ vacation, ten (10) Federal holidays and our offices are closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day and many more exciting benefit programs. Salary will be commensurate with experience, our salary range for this role is $165K - $185K.
How to Apply
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply online and include in your application: your cover letter, resume and writing sample.
Link to apply: https://secure.beyondpay.com/ta/FUF1.careers?ApplyToJob=520226450
Families USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, results of genetic testing, or service in the military.