The Safe Sisters Circle is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides free culturally specific, holistic, and
trauma-based services to Black women survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault
primarily living in Washington, DC's Wards 7 and 8.
The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants
for two Domestic Violence/Family Law Staff Attorney positions with our organization. The
Staff Attorneys will work to support The Safe Sisters Circle’s mission and provide exceptional
legal services to Black women survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate and
thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black
women survivors of intimate partner abuse and sexual assault.
● This position reports to the Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle;
● Represents Black women survivors in Civil Protection Order, Custody, and Child
● Engages in crime witness advocacy, including accompanying clients to criminal court
hearings involving abusers where appropriate, advocating with law enforcement and
prosecutors for the clients’ desired outcomes, and keeping clients informed of their rights
in the process and the status of their cases.
● Provides compassionate, holistic and culturally competent legal, advocacy and wrap
around services to Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
● Conducts legal research and writing and maintains a working knowledge of the law;
● Conducts case related investigations;
● Conducts client intake and case management services;
● Participates in the organization’s community outreach efforts in Washington, DC’s
Wards 7 and 8;
● Participates in the organization’s educational resource development;
● Attends survivor-centered community working group and policy meetings; and
● Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
● At least 1-2 years of experience litigating/providing direct legal services, preferably to
survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual abuse; experience can be through
externships or clinical placements;
● Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and intimate
● Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black women survivors;
● Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
● Excellent legal research and writing skills;
● Patience, enthusiasm, creativity and a positive attitude;
● Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback;
● Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment;
● Past experience with a survivor-focused organization is a plus.
$65,000-$68,000 based on experience. Generous benefits package
includes paid health insurance, flexible paid holidays, hybrid work schedule, generous annual
and sick leave allotments starting at 15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave per year; and
Simple I.R.A. match.
Please submit a resume, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this
position) and writing sample to Nel-Sylvia Guzman, Director of Legal Services of The Safe
Sisters Circle, nelsy[email protected]. Diverse applicants are encouraged to