Role: Special Assistant
Reports to: Jamar Knox, Director of Finance and Operations
Location: This position may telecommute from anywhere in the United States.
Chiefs for Change is a nonprofit, bipartisan network of diverse state and district education chiefs. With more than three dozen members, our work is focused on advocacy, leadership development, and member supports.
We are positioned to rapidly spread bold policies and practices, as we have:
- National reach: Our members lead education systems with more than 7 million students, 454,000 teachers, and 14,000 schools.
- Diverse contexts: Our network is diverse in terms of race, gender, political affiliation, and geography.
- A model for disseminating promising ideas: We work with our members, excellent technical assistance providers, and top-tier research institutions to scale innovative approaches designed to improve student learning.
To learn more about Chiefs for Change, please visit chiefsforchange.org.
Chiefs for Change (CFC) is seeking a proactive, thoughtful, and highly organized individual to support the CEO as special assistant. The ideal candidate for the role is someone who has a strong desire to be part of a diverse, hard-working team and is extremely skilled at prioritizing, planning, and executing a variety of time-sensitive projects and tasks.
The special assistant will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of CFC’s strategic plan and ensuring coherence across the organization. This will involve supporting the CEO with communications and meeting preparation, including drafting agendas, managing travel, and developing materials. In addition, the special assistant will lead CFC’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives aligned to the organization’s goals and commitments. The person must care deeply about educational equity, the mission of CFC, and our members’ work. Candidates should have a proven track record of positive results, should be motivated to make a difference in their work, and should demonstrate political savvy and excellent project management skills.
Candidates should have:
- Operations or project management experience, preferably with an education and/or nonprofit organization
- The ability to be responsive, nimble, and nuanced during periods of uncertainty
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A strong commitment to seeing projects through from beginning to end
- A positive demeanor and should be self-directed, curious, eager, and excited to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- A proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capability
In addition, candidates must possess all of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 3-5 years of successful experience in education
- Outstanding project management skills
- Outstanding critical thinking, problem-solving, and planning skills
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize tasks in order to meet important deadlines
- A willingness to hold oneself personally accountable for results in a rapidly changing context
- The ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- A passion for CFC’s mission and vision
- Experience using Google Apps (i.e., Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Forms, etc.)
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
The salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. As we are a small team, we are not able to respond to each inquiry. We will reach out directly to those candidates who we select to move forward in the interview process. We believe diversity is a source of strength and welcome applicants of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.