As the Chief of Staff to the Senior Vice President, Regional Field Executive, you will provide high-level strategy, execution, and operations to the SVP, ensuring annual priorities and regional goals are reached. You will become a trusted advisor to the SVP, working closely with the SVP and his/her portfolio of regions’ executive directors and senior regional and national staff members to help reach their regional goals.
The Chief of Staff will be provided an unparalleled opportunity to use superior critical thinking, organization, communication, and relationship-building skills to help the SVP maximize Teach For America’s current impact, while also gaining an in-depth understanding of the organization’s work at the regional and national levels.
Due to the high-stakes nature of this position, the Chief of Staff must demonstrate exceptional judgment, professionalism and poise at all times. S/he must operate with a sense of poise and professionalism, excelling as a project manager, strategist, and self-starter. The Chief of Staff will report to the Senior Vice President, Regional Field Executive.
Manage the operations of the Senior Vice President's home team of regions to ensure that they are on-track to meet their annual goals, and execute on home team-related projects and national initiatives:
- Draft internal and external communications on behalf of the SVP
- Analyze, manage and synthesize data from multiple national teams and share key findings/analysis with SVP
- Support the SVP in retaining regional talent and longer-term prospects for senior-level roles
- Anticipate, prepare for, and, at times, lead/facilitate upcoming meetings and events (e.g. team retreats, regular management meetings)
- Facilitate the collaboration and information-sharing between and among the SVP and the other national partners that support the home team
- Support regional teams with their strategic planning efforts by providing critical feedback on materials and coaching team members through presentation preparation
Manage the SVP’s workload to ensure that it aligns with his or her priorities and with the operating rhythm of the organization and home team:
- Create the operating rhythm for the management of regions and ensure a balanced division of work for the SVP and their support partners
- Manage the SVP’s administrative assistant and calendar
- Serve as a key contact to other teams, particularly when fielding questions, and coordinating projects, and download key information for the SVP
Add strategic capacity to the SVP and/or the regions he/she supports:
- Plan and execute special projects that are critical to achieving the SVP’s, home team’s and/or an individual region’s priorities and goals
- Thought partner with SVP and other members of the regional operations team in order to propel progress towards home team’s and/or regions’ goals
- Six to eight years of work experience
- Previous experience working at Teach For America preferred
- Exceptional strategic and critical thinking skills
- Exceptional organizational skills/ability to manage significant volume and competing priorities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Poise, confidence, and maturity interacting with key stakeholders, with the ability to build strong relationships and work with people at all levels of the organization, across diverse situations, and potentially challenging situations
- Ability to think big, generate ideas and implement solutions to complex problems
- Ability to translate data and research into actionable solutions
- Ability to leverage own skill set and experience to manage, support, and professionally develop others
- Ability to execute independently and operate in ambiguity , while prioritizing tasks effectively
- Ability to manage others to results
- Deep commitment to Teach For America’s mission, core values, and our commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Ability to travel to in-person meetings in various U.S. cities approximately 20 percent of the time (1 week out of every 5 weeks)
- Occasional weekend or evening work is required.