Oversee the day-to-day management of our United States team and provide support to the Canadian Team to ensure that we are meeting our goals without sacrificing quality and effectively coordinating across the organization.
Managing the workflow of the US Leadership Team, and by extension our entire US Team, to ensure that we are planning in advance, setting and meeting our goals annually. Serving as a liaison to North America Regional Director and providing support for enhanced communications between US and Canada.
Management to ensure we deliver on our goals
- Oversees the day-to-day work of the US Team.
- Supports day-to-day work needs of the Canadian Team.
- Manages team leads, which includes:
- ensuring that each team designs ambitious goals, housed in well considered plans as a part of organizational strategy to meet them;
- developing leadership team skills, including providing clear and useful feedback so that leaders continually improve;
- spotting and addressing performance issues (including escalating to North America Regional Director as appropriate);
- working to ensure that the North America Regional Director is abreast of status quo, top performers are retained and low performers are transitioned out (including making the case for either); and
- serving as a thought partner and resource to senior leaders in their realms of responsibility, including on issues related to the management of their teams.
- Ensures we hit our goals and objectives in the United States each year, which will include leading our annual goal-setting process and developing a robust set of metrics and systems to track our progress against goals.
- Ensures that we have strong performance management systems throughout the organization, and supports senior leaders in their hiring, coaching, retention of high performers, and when needed, termination of staff members.
Ensure effective coordination across the US Team and wider organization
- Ensures smooth communication and coordination across departments, including developing a system for internal communication inside the organization and designing and leading staff meetings and strategy retreats.
- Supports senior leaders in developing new systems for rapid response, campaign planning, or other needs as required.
- Manages the operations of the US Leadership Team, including weekly meetings and quarterly goal review and annual evaluation.
- Helps to build and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, transparency, and positive engagement.
Serve as a senior leader on the US Team
- Work closely with the North Regional American Director and other members of the US leadership team to develop, articulate and implement overall organizational strategy.
- As needed, manages a portfolio of external ally relationships, and represent the organization externally with a variety of audiences.
- Coordinates with other regional teams at 350.org as needed.
Liaison to North American Director on all of the above.
- Works closely and in coordination with North American Regional Director to convey the capacity, needs, and requirements of the US and Canadian Teams as articulated by their leadership.
- Supports timely and effective responsiveness of the North America Regional Director to US and Canada Programs.
- Provides coaching and leadership support of US Leadership up to and including conflict resolution to support harmony amongst campaigns, projects and programs, internally and with external partners.
- Carries out all duties with attention to detail without sacrifice of quality under stress or time constraint.
- Laser like attention to detail;
- Cultural competency and emotional intelligence;
- Knowledge, experience or capacity for multi-level management of campaigners, organizers and related movement dynamics;
- Clear understanding of climate science;
- Experience creating and sustaining coalitions of varying capacities;
- Talent communicating with wide-ranging stakeholders;
- Experienced capacity builder;
- A deep understanding of and commitment to diversity, racial equity and inclusion;
- The ability to manage across difference and support a team of diverse staff from different backgrounds and experiences;
- Alignment with 350.org’s vision, mission and progressive values
- Understanding of environmental law or policy;
- Experience managing communities of practice or emerging leaders;
- Experience managing budgets;
The perfect candidate will:
- Have the ability to run meetings effectively (like a JEDI);
- Have a positive attitude towards the work;
- Have the ability to develop collegial working relationships with various teams and managers;
- Have a long term track record for developing programs, practices and initiatives with equity as a non-negotiable outcome.