This is a seasonal, full-time position that reports to the Field Supervisor and comprises the ‘field crew.” This position exists to do the work of upland exotic control and rare habitat restoration. All work at the Starr Ranch is non-chemical (no herbicides used) and is guided by the research that is executed on-site.
The Field Assistants are required to reside on-site in housing provided by Audubon as a condition of employment. Residing on-site allows the Field Assistants to properly perform the essential functions of the position that begin during early morning hours (5AM) to avoid occasional high afternoon temperatures that may be in excess of 90 degrees. Living on-site will also afford the Field Assistants the opportunity to develop a first-hand understanding of the operation of a large conservation sanctuary.
Housing will be provided in the “Main House” located at 100 Bell Canyon Road, Trabuco Canyon, CA 92679. The dwelling is in excellent condition and is the former lodging of the Starr family. The lodge-like building, built in the 1930’s, has a fireplace, redwood interior and five bedrooms. It is fully furnished and linens are provided. There are three bathrooms, two with a shower. Each field assistant has his/her own room. The Field Crew Leader has a room with a double bed and a bathroom. Double beds are provided in all but the smallest room that has a single bed. The house is professionally cleaned before the crew arrives and again in late spring. All bedrooms are occupied by one staff, no minors are allowed. Up to five adults can live in this residence. Utilities are paid by Audubon.
- Responsible for mechanical and physical removal of artichoke thistle and all aspects of invasive species control and restoration including non-chemical control of other invasive species
- Responsible for restoration activities including soil preparation, native seed collection and planting.
- Responsible for experimental tests of weed removal and restoration techniques, and quantitative monitoring.
- Must be able to operate a 15 lb brush cutter
- Must be able to work outside in varying conditions and terrains (steep slopes, heat, etc.) with or without accommodation