PROMO seeks an Executive Director who will lead the organization in the next phase of our work advocating for and protecting LGBTQ+ equality in Missouri. The Executive Director leads our strategic direction, raises and manages resources that support our work, and makes sure that board, staff, and volunteers are equipped with the tools and resources they need to succeed.
The Executive Director is the face of the organization, ensuring PROMO is seen as a trusted partner and expert in LGBTQ+ policy, with an emphasis on developing and maintaining relationships with key community leaders, organizational partners, elected officials, and businesses. We are seeking a visionary leader, someone passionate about our mission, who can reach across differences that might ordinarily divide our community, and who can build trust and understanding with others. Our Executive Director will communicate our vision and importance of the work we are doing in order to inspire people to join us in this work, and will use PROMO to lift the voices of those too often not heard. We seek a leader who is not afraid of challenges, who will work with us to build the organization in an exciting new phase, and who is skilled at managing daily operations while never losing sight of our vision for the future.
Board & Staff: Develop, maintain, support, inform, and engage a strong Board of Directors. Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance staff team, including development of comprehensive work plans that advance our strategic direction.
Development & Operations: Develop and manage a budget that reflects both the current needs and assets of the organization as well as future growth. Manage daily operations to ensure full legal compliance and smooth organizational function. Plan and execute fundraising to meet budget needs. Secure support from individuals, foundations, organizations, and corporate partners through individual contributions, grants, events, and other activities.
Strategic Execution: Create pipelines for community engagement and feedback that center the lived experiences of LGBTQ+ Missourians, particularly those with marginalized identities and experiences. Ensure that community-generated priorities are at the center of the organization’s work. Ensure that the organization has both a long-range strategy to achieve its mission with clear goals, objectives, and a work plan to guide staff and organizational priorities. Represent PROMO in the community, at events, and in the media. Build relationships and unconventional alliances that are responsive to the varying needs of different regions and populations. Build support for PROMO’s legislative strategy in Jefferson City.
Culture, Environment, Team Collaboration: Lead a high-functioning and experienced staff in a collaborative and inclusive manner in a work environment that reflects our values. Encourages staff and volunteers to expand their skills, practice ethical decision-making, and uphold accountability to one another.
Strong candidates will possess a unique combination of many of the following attributes:
1. Commitment to equality for all LGBTQ+ persons, with an anti-racist and anti-transphobic approach based in an intersectional understanding of the experiences of our diverse constituency.
2. Demonstrated ability to build and manage strong teams of staff and volunteers.
3. Exceptional, persuasive communication skills, including writing and public speaking and one-on-one interactions.
4. Ability to educate with patience and understanding, even in unfamiliar and challenging environments, appreciating viewpoints other than your own.
5. Experience following through on long-term strategic plans with tangible, measurable results.
6. Professional approach that includes the ability to receive constructive feedback and maintain appropriate boundaries with regard to the handling of confidential information and maintaining ethical standards of conduct.
7. Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends; availability to travel within the region and statewide. Must have access to reliable transportation.
8. Proven ability to raise funds from individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
1. Experience working within the LGBTQ+ community or within LGBTQ+ advocacy; knowledge of, and the ability to explain, how policy decisions affect the daily lives and decisions of LGBTQ+ Missourians.
3. Experience working with various levels of local and state government, lobbying, and working with political campaigns.
4. At least three years of senior level leadership experience, preferably in a non-profit organization.
5. Experience creating, maintaining and implementing organizational processes and documenting procedures and policies.
6. Experience with budget creation and financial management of an organization.
Compensation: $75-90,000 annual salary, plus comprehensive benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, life, and supplemental insurance. Opportunity to participate in IRA retirement plan with 3% employer match.
Apply using this link: https://apply.workable.com/promomissouri/j/3DC26A5566/
The Executive Director will work inside an office with a collaborative, open-space set-up, as well as outdoors on occasion. There will be exposure to typical Missouri temperatures, distractions typical of a busy office environment, including loud noises. Statewide travel is frequent; national travel is expected but less often.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting, and carrying. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Extended hours in front of a computer screen and mobile phone screen are typical. Long hours are required during peak campaigns, events, or response periods.
PROMO is a smoke-free, casual dress, fun workplace. The PROMO office environment is collaborative and flexible, in order to accommodate a strenuous campaign-based schedule. The building and office are accessible, secure, and dog-friendly.