Homebase seeks a part-time (0.6-0.75 FTE) Finance Director to join our passionate and growing San Francisco-based team. The base full-time equivalent salary range is $135,000 – 165,000, contingent on experience, with a comprehensive benefits package.
Homebase is a public interest nonprofit dedicated to the social problem of homelessness. Our mission is to end homelessness, prevent its recurrence, and decrease its effect on communities. For over 30 years, we have worked at the local, state and national levels to support communities in designing systems and implementing responses to homelessness while fostering collaboration and collective impact in addressing its political and economic causes.
The Director of Finance is a member of the senior management team and a strong partner to the Executive Director, providing leadership in the overall growth, management, and strategic planning of the organization. This position has direct responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities. The position provides dynamic leadership and guidance to the staff and Board of Directors.
Homebase is a CA 501(c)3 and is exempt from both Federal and State income taxes. Annual budget is approximately $7.4M for FY 2019.
- Provide supervision, coaching and oversight for Homebase’s finance team
- Direct responsibility for accounting, finance, organization-wide budgets, administrative purchasing and contracting
- Direct liaison for the annual audit. The Director of Finance is responsible for drafting the annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Collaborate with Executive Director and other key players in managing and optimizing revenue streams
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts, and monthly financial statements/take internal financial reporting to the next level
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in the development and implementation of organization-wide policies and programs that will contribute to its overall success
- Work closely with and present robust data to engaged members of the Board of Directors and staff liaison responsibilities for both the finance and audit committees
- Develop and ensure effective internal controls are in place to safeguard assets and ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Directly interface with and manage certain aspects of outside vendors/contractors providing products or services to Homebase, including but not limited to, audit and tax filings, insurance, and payroll services. Work in collaboration with other department managers and senior directors to ensure that all contracts with outside vendors are in compliance with all policies and procedures of the organization
- Identify, develop and implement best practice improvements to processes and procedures to achieve meaningful results, greater productivity, efficiency and consistency among departments
Education and/or Experience
- CPA/MBA or equivalent experience a strong plus
- Minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibilities in the accounting/finance function and at least half of that time supporting organizations of comparable size to Homebase
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred and a plus. Additional plus would include experience with Uniform Guidance requirements for Federal funding
- At least five (5) years of direct supervisory experience of individuals and/or secondary departments
- Proficiency in QuickBooks. Experience with other general ledger software programs. Experience with 3rd party payroll services
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to provide exceptional accounting, finance, and budgets; user-friendly approaches to develop and present information to the various stakeholders and audiences
- Knowledge of financial reporting for NFP entities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Demonstrated leadership through robust, effective, and respectful partnerships with all staff and board members; supportive team player and supervisor
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of “customer” service, urgency, results-orientation, and diplomacy
- Ability to review and revamp as necessary organization policies and procedures as they specifically relate to internal controls
- Ability to take feedback and make constructive adjustments to programs, processes, and communications
- Ability to think and act strategically, and promptly respond to tactical questions, concerns, and problems either via email, phone or in person
- Ability to provide solid analytical skills working with quantitative data, organize information effectively and provide useful data and management reporting
- Ability to be responsive to a large number of diverse needs while focusing on high priority tasks; ability to multi-task while maintaining high degree of accuracy and follow-through
The base, full-time equivalent salary range is $135,000 – 165,000, contingent on experience, with a comprehensive benefits package.
Benefits: Kaiser health (includes vision and Guardian dental; covers 100% of the employee-only premium); Flexible Savings Account (FSA) with $500 Homebase annual contribution; 403(b) with 5% salary match; Clipper Direct with $75/month transportation stipend; 11 annual holidays/year, 10 sick days/year, flexible vacation policy
Homebase is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records are welcome to apply and will be considered for the position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.