The Sunrise Project is looking for an experienced and creative communications professional to provide support for an exciting climate campaign that is aiming to shift U.S. insurance companies out of fossil fuels.
The Sunrise Project is a small organization with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe and the United States, we’re focused on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels, and accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy in Australia.
Through our grants program we provide partner groups with the capacity they need, while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work, see www.sunriseproject.org.au.
Together with our network of partner NGOs, we’re running several campaigns to shift the global financial system out of fossil fuels. Our insurance campaign aims to get the world’s biggest insurance companies to stop underwriting and investing in fossil fuel projects and companies. Our asset manager campaign aims to push Blackrock, the world’s biggest investor, to shift out of fossil fuels. Further campaigns on central banks and other financial institutions are under preparation.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications campaigner to join our small team. The primary function of this position will be to lead communication strategy and implementation for our U.S. insurance campaign with occasional opportunities to support other aspects of our finance campaigns. As a small team our work often overlaps and intersects and we work closely together to support each other across all our work.
You’re an experienced communications professional with a knack for telling simple, powerful stories that synthesize complex issues and cut through a crowded media landscape. While you’re skilled at developing big picture strategy, you also enjoy the nitty gritty of implementation, turning around copy quickly and relentlessly pitching to journalists. You’re a team player with excellent interpersonal communications skills and the ability to work effectively with diverse partners to support them to do their best work. You’re passionate about solving the climate crisis and winning campaigns.
Working with Sunrise Project campaign lead and network partners, the Senior Communications Campaigner will focus on three main areas:
Engaging with and pitching to media
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists;
- Develop and pitch media stories to mainstream and niche finance industry media outlets.
Developing and implementing communications strategies
- Create campaign frames, messages and talking points;
- Identify and make the most of campaign communication moments and flashpoints, including leveraging breaking news;
- Determine the targeted audiences and channels (including social media and paid advertising) which are best suited for our campaign messages;
- Produce messaging briefs for partners around important events and moments.
Create campaign communications materials
- Write media releases;
- Create (or oversee all aspects of the production of) impactful communications materials for social media including blogs, short videos, infographics, and other visual assets;
- Work with the Sunrise team and partner organizations to develop tailored communications material including reports and other assets.
- 5 years minimum communications experience.
- Media relations experience including pitching and landing top-tier media.
- Proven ability to prepare and execute creative and effective communications strategies including earned and social media.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with an ability to understand and analyze complex policy issues and communicate them clearly to targeted audiences.
- Experience running strategic communications for effective campaigns, with experience in climate, finance or clean energy a plus.
- Ability to create social media materials (short videos, infographics, etc.) a plus.
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Open to the right candidates anywhere in the United States with a preference for candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Position reports to Senior Strategist, International Finance Program
Salary: $77-$85k, depending on experience. Sunrise offers a very generous benefits package. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Location: Preference for San Francisco/Bay area but flexible for the right candidate.
Applications are due by May 20th, 11:59 pm PST. Contact [email protected] for more info or to schedule an informational interview to learn more.