Under the general direction of the Executive Director, the Aquatic Director is responsible for the administration and direction of all aquatic programming. This position will function as a member of the total staff team in developing community relations, lay committees and long-range planning as well as the interpretation of YMCA programming to the public. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA is conveyed.
- Develop the annual operating objectives and plans assigned program responsibilities. Monitor the achievement of these objectives and exercises appropriate action to assure achievement of the objectives.
- Prepare the annual income and expense budget for the Aquatic Department and assigned area(s) of responsibility. Administer the budget and exercises necessary controls to assure operations are carried out in a balanced fiscal position.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all staff relative to program responsibilities. Conducts all appropriate staff trainings and meetings.
- Plan, promote, and direct all aquatic programs.
- Plan, promote, and direct preschool, progressive, and senior aquatic programs.
- Develop new aquatic programs and areas aquatic related programs. Actively recruit and market new program offerings.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the board-designated committee.
- Serve as staff aide in the Annual Supporting Membership Campaign.
- Actively pursue trainings, learning opportunities and certifications as they relate to responsibilities.
- Ensure all program operation is consistent with Association procedures, including emergency, insurance, accident, purchasing, personnel, and accounting systems. Develop policies and procedures for specific program efforts as needed. Implements NYS Health Code, Emergency Action Plans, and Association Safety Policy.
- Serve as a member of the total staff team with responsibility for the administration, promotion, and operation of the branch. Participate accordingly in such projects as assigned, as well as staff trainings and meetings, core program teams and special events.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of full range of instructional and competitive aquatics.
- This position requires extensive skills in recruiting, training and direction of volunteer leaders and employees.
- The Aquatics Director must possess skills in program development and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated and effective human relations and ability to communicate with staff, members, and donors.
- Must have current CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Lifeguard, Standard First Aid, O2 administration, YMCA Lifeguard and YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification required.