We are seeking an experienced Senior Director of Philanthropy with a passion for nonprofit excellence. The successful candidate will help create, execute, and evaluate philanthropy strategies along with the Executive Director to ensure a diverse and sustainable portfolio to support the Foundation’s mission.
This position is Remote.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Foundation, the Senior Director of Philanthropy will lead the Philanthropy team leaders for Operations; Programs; Communications; and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
The Senior Director of Philanthropy must be able to demonstrate expertise in all areas of philanthropy including program creation, monitoring, evaluation and learning, communications, and the overall grant-making life cycle.
- Work with the Executive Director, Philanthropy team leaders and Internet Society leadership to develop and execute a cohesive long-term strategic plan for the Foundation’s philanthropic area
- Work with Philanthropy team leaders to ensure that the different philanthropy teams are well informed of cross team activities and working cohesively towards a shared vision and unified goals
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic Philanthropic goals of the Foundation
- Be engaged in budget processes and approve invoice and grant payments when the Executive Director is unavailable
- Perform outreach, raise awareness, and develop strategic partnerships with other organizations, funders, and networks to expand the Foundation’s philanthropic grantmaking opportunities
- Attend occasional Board meetings with the Executive Director, as required
- Step in as the Deputy Director for the Executive Director as needed
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain the Foundation’s high-performing Philanthropy team
- Continually review processes to help drive improvements and efficiencies, including counseling leadership and staff on effective management practices
- Monitor and track work distribution within the Philanthropy teams. Provide guidance and assistance to the team leads to ensure work assignments are distributed to individuals and teams in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
- Support staff on assignments that align with their skills, professional goals, and business objectives, without overburdening staffers or risking burnout.
- Proactively engage with all Philanthropy staff, gain a meaningful understanding of their skills, experience, and aspirations, and identify the right opportunities for them
- Map well-known and aspirational competencies to align with team needs
- Provide career development guidance, coaching, and assistance
- Provide the Executive Director with regular updates regarding work allocation and distribution among the team
- Liaise with Human Resources and escalate sensitive or high-risk staffing situations to the Executive Director and Human Resources, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Preferably 12 - 15 years of direct or peripheral experience in program development and proven skills in a grant-making environment
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Internet technology sector
- Experience working at a foundation that provides grants globally
- Experience with the full suite of grant-making processes including reviewing applications/submissions; identifying high-quality applicants for review; recommending funding levels; and managing ongoing grantee projects
- Demonstrated leadership experience, and high comfort level working in Philanthropy start ups
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing successful strategic plans and initiatives
- Familiarity of grant-making systems such as Fluxx
- Knowledgeable of both technical and policy-related Internet research topics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communication with a broad and diverse audience
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience working with a globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zones
- Having an existing network within the Philanthropic and/or Technology Sectors is highly desired
- Commitment to the Internet Society Foundation’s mission, values and objectives
- Additional languages highly desired
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and benefits for this position will be paid in local currency and based on the country and geographic location’s local salary and benefits market data for the position.