Advisory Services Team
As trusted advisors and expert pro bono practitioners, Taproot’s Advisory Services team designs and delivers the highest quality pro bono service to social good organizations. The Advisory Services team sets the standard of excellence for the pro bono field by demonstrating, innovating, and sharing best practices.
The Advisory Services team provides services in the following areas:
- Pro Bono Strategy & Advisement: We design and develop pro bono programs that maximize the impact potential of our clients, including companies, foundations, and other organizations.
- Pro Bono Program Delivery: We implement pro bono programs that connect social good organizations and skilled volunteers by leveraging our extensive pro bono expertise.
- Pro Bono Field Building: We develop tools and resources that enable pro bono users and practitioners to provide high quality pro bono services and share them with the field through convenings or thought leadership.
The Senior Consultant serves as a senior pro bono practitioner, coordinating the Advisory Services team’s contribution to cross-functional collaboration around practice building efforts, executing complex external engagements, managing a small team of direct reports, and managing a portfolio of client relationships. This is a remote position with some travel required.
Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities and duties of the Senior Consultant consist of (but are not limited to):
Client Relationship Management, Oversight, and Service Delivery (60%)
- Oversee a portfolio of 2–5 large, complicated, and/or new engagements that require adept consulting skills and an understanding of pro bono service, to ensure coordination and success of engagements are high-impact, occur within the agreed-upon timeline, and stay in scope.
- Support the service delivery of large, complicated, and/or new engagements, as requested.
- Serve as the relationship manager for a portfolio of Advisory Services clients.
- Lead internal project teams to support portfolio of projects, helping to ensure teammates are effectively utilized and coached on their performance.
- Input and monitor revenue recognition for assigned engagements to provide AS leadership with relevant engagement information to support the organization's monthly financial reporting process.
Team Management and Performance (20%)
- Directly manage team members as relevant, accountable for professional growth and engagement of direct report(s).
- Support engagement staffing and monitoring of team bandwidth, with a focus on team culture, satisfaction, and development.
- Inform practice-specific training and upskilling needs and investments, in order to ensure a consistent, high-quality client experience and develop team members’ capabilities.
- Lead practitioners’ meetings, as requested.
Business Development and Field Building (10%)
- Drive renewal conversations for assigned clients.
- Lead inbound business development calls, as assigned.
- Develop proposals for engagements.
- Keep Directors informed of renewals, business development conversations, and proposals under development.
- Support the execution of the Pro Bono Summit, including facilitating Summit sessions.
- In conjunction with Strategic Partnerships and Marketing & Communications teams, push the field of pro bono forward by creating thought leadership, including case studies, whitepapers, webinar, and other content, as requested.
- Attend, present at, and/or host community engagement events that build and educate key audiences, including corporate pro bono practitioners, social good organizations, and skilled volunteers.
- Represent Taproot at external convenings or conferences.
Operations/Practice Building (10%)
- Marketing and Communications: Lead collaboration and implementation on identified MarCom/AS initiatives as assigned. Example responsibilities may include managing AS’s contribution to thought leadership opportunities and materials, identifying case study topics and subjects and sourcing stories from the AS team, rolling out templates built by MarCom to the AS team, etc.
- Strategic Operations: Lead the coordination of projects relating to the updating of systems or processes core to AS’s day-to-day operations and/or the organization at large.
Strategic Direction and Vision (0-5%)
- Responsible for successful execution of AS strategic and operational priorities through oversight of program delivery and oversight of practice building project work.
- Contribute to the performance measurement and management of the Advisory Services team. This includes tracking and evaluating trends in our performance data and helping to make decisions and initiate new projects that improve the AS team’s infrastructure and approach.
- Provide proactive strategic analysis and recommendations for senior AS team members and clients to inform engagement strategy.
- Help guide and inform the strategic direction of Taproot’s Advisory Services team by participating in strategic planning and implementation and contributing to the performance measurement and management of the Advisory Services team. This could include tracking and evaluating trends in performance data to help drive decisions that improve team infrastructure and approach.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in the nonprofit, corporate, consulting, and/or other sectors. Relevant experience may include but is not limited to professional services, corporate social responsibility, or pro bono program implementation. Taproot is dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with non-traditional workplace experiences and backgrounds.
- Experience with people management.
- Experience with client or other external stakeholder management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and/or facilitation skills.
- Strong project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, participate in consensus-style decision making, and discern when to take individual initiative as required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Moderate travel may be required (~10-15%).
Taproot Core Performance Competencies
- Interpersonal Skills: Has knowledge and understanding of the needs and requirements of the job, as well as its systems and processes. Understands how the job impacts other areas of the department and the Company. Is sought after by others for expertise in their field.
- Written Communication Skills: Work is thorough and complete. Shows attention to detail and produces work that is consistently free of errors. Sets high personal standards and monitors, evaluates, and adjusts own work to ensure those standards are met.
- Collaboration: Effectively manages a defined workload. Sees tasks through from concept to completion. Prioritizes tasks accurately, identifying and addressing those that are most critical. Demonstrates persistence in spite of obstacles. Demonstrates flexibility inside and outside of the department.
- Critical Thinking: Works independently and seeks solutions by using resources efficiently and effectively. Takes charge in the absence of detailed instructions.
- Innovation: Creates new ideas by thinking outside of the box and takes action to implement. Actively pursues growth and development by seeking and accepting feedback and learning from others.
- Project Management: Accomplishes tasks and submits work in a timely manner. Accepts responsibility for the outcome of one’s work and decisions made. Reports to work on scheduled days/times and attends required meetings, calls and other business obligations on time. Understands purposes, objectives, practices, and procedures of the department. Upholds Company policies, procedures, corporate governance and utilizes fair and consistent business practices.
- Problem Solving: Assembles all available facts and considers alternatives before making decisions. Is creative in formulating and implementing solutions to difficult issues. Makes wise, fair, and facts-based judgments and decisions.
- Embodying Taproot’s Values: Understands, communicates, and acts according to Taproot’s values.
Job Specific Performance Competencies (Outside of Core)
- Client Management/Service: Utilizes techniques required to develop, maintain, and manage trusting business relationships with clients and partner organizations. Delivers high quality service and identifies new opportunities.
- Consulting: Partners with clients to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
- Attention to Detail: Carefully and thoroughly attends to details and pursues high quality when completing tasks.
- Verbal/Presentation: Conveys ideas and facts using language the audience will best understand. Formally delivers information to groups.
- Facilitation: Enables cooperative and productive group interactions.
- Deliverable Development: Able to identify both short-term and long-term objectives and set timelines for completion of objectives in a reasonable and logical order.
- Influencing/Persuading Others: Influences and persuades others to become or remain excited and committed to furthering Taproot’s objectives.
- Creativity/Innovation: Generates new ideas, challenges norms, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation, solves problems creatively.
- Coaching and Mentoring: Enables Co-Roots to grow and succeed through feedback, instruction, and encouragement.
- Comfort with Ambiguity: Ability to take action without having each and every detail, especially when presented a problem. Having confidence with making a good decision.
- People Management and Development: Ensures Roots have the skills and resources to get things done. Aligns the right work with the right people; delegates tasks according to people’s strengths and interests.
- Strategic Thinking: Balances both short- and long-term goals of Taproot, keeps own and team's work aligned with overall goals while integrating the goals and initiatives of other teams.
Annual salary starting at $72,000. This starting salary is reflective of a position based in Colorado and would be subject to a locality adjustment.
This is a remote position with some travel required. Taproot is accepting applications from candidates based anywhere in the continental United States.
Please use this link to apply: https://taprootfoundation.recruitee.com/o/senior-consultant-advisory-ser...