Advisory Services Team
As trusted advisors and expert pro bono practitioners, Taproot’s Advisory Services team designs and delivers the highest quality pro bono service to social good organizations. The Advisory Services team sets the standard of excellence for the pro bono field by demonstrating, innovating, and sharing best practices.
The Advisory Services team provides services in the following areas:
- Pro Bono Strategy & Advisement: We design and develop pro bono programs that maximize the impact potential of our clients, including companies, foundations, and other organizations.
- Pro Bono Program Delivery: We implement pro bono programs that connect social good organizations and skilled volunteers by leveraging our extensive pro bono expertise.
- Pro Bono Field Building: We develop tools and resources that enable pro bono users and practitioners to provide high quality pro bono services and share them with the field through convenings or thought leadership.
The Consultant serves as a pro bono practitioner, executing a portfolio of client engagements in collaboration with engagement leads (Senior Consultants or fellow Consultants) and engagement supports (Associate Consultants, Senior Associate Consultants, or fellow Consultants). The Consultant serves as day-to-day point of contact for clients, creates engagement deliverables, leads externally facing events, and supports the execution of internal practice-building projects. This is a remote position with some travel required.
Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities and duties of the Senior Consultant consist of (but are not limited to):
Client Relationship Management and Service Delivery (60-70%)
- Manage and lead the delivery of a portfolio of 4–8 engagements, ensuring that work is completed on time, in scope, and at the highest level of quality.
- Lead internal project teams to support assigned portfolio of engagements, as needed, helping to ensure teammates are effectively utilized and coached on their performance.
- Lead engagement-related calls and meetings with clients. This includes setting the agenda, facilitating discussions, facilitating meeting content (delegating facilitation of content, as desired), and driving decision-making related to engagement next steps.
- Accountable for quality control of scoping calls and deliverables and the success of pro bono projects within Pro Bono Consultant and corporate engagements.
- Elevate client challenges and scope creep or questions to the client relationship manager, as relevant.
- Input and monitor revenue recognition for assigned engagements to provide Advisory Services leadership with relevant engagement information to support the organization's monthly financial reporting process.
Operations/Practice Building (20-35%)
- Support projects relating to updating systems or processes core to Advisory Services’ day-to-day operations and/or the organization at large.
- Support the development of resources that help build the field of pro bono. Resources could include tools, presentations, or original research that equip pro bono practitioners and users with best practices and insights. Resource development may require partnering with Strategic Partnerships and Marketing & Communications and may include co-developing content with third party organizations and partners.
- Support the execution of the Pro Bono Summit, including facilitating Summit sessions, as requested.
- Join business development calls, particularly renewals, and support creation of proposals.
Team Management and Performance (0-5%)
- Support team member development through coaching and mentoring team members on client engagements.
- Implement standard practices of project and team member management on engagements, including setting goals, establishing roles and responsibilities, providing feedback, and delegating effectively.
- Train team members by leading onboarding sessions and team upskilling sessions.
- Support the recruitment process for new Advisory Services team members.
Strategic Direction and Vision (0-5%)
- Support the execution of Advisory Services’ strategic and operational priorities through leading the execution of program delivery and execution of practice building project work.
- Provide proactive strategic analysis and recommendations for senior Advisory Services team members and clients to inform engagement strategy.
- Help guide and inform the strategic direction of Taproot’s Advisory Services team by participating in strategic planning and implementation and contributing to the performance measurement and management of the Advisory Services team. This could include tracking and evaluating trends in performance data to help drive decisions that improve team infrastructure and approach.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience including at least two years of relevant nonprofit, corporate social responsibility, professional services, and/or consulting experience. Taproot is dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with non-traditional workplace experiences and backgrounds.
- Experience with client or other external stakeholder management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation and/or facilitation skills.
- Strong project management experience and ability to multitask.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, participate in consensus-style decision making, and discern when to take individual initiative as required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Moderate travel may be required (~10-15%).
Taproot Core Performance Competencies
- Interpersonal Skills: Has knowledge and understanding of the needs and requirements of the job, as well as its systems and processes. Understands how the job impacts other areas of the department and the Company. Is sought after by others for expertise in their field.
- Written Communication Skills: Work is thorough and complete. Shows attention to detail and produces work that is consistently free of errors. Sets high personal standards and monitors, evaluates, and adjusts own work to ensure those standards are met.
- Collaboration: Effectively manages a defined workload. Sees tasks through from concept to completion. Prioritizes tasks accurately, identifying and addressing those that are most critical. Demonstrates persistence in spite of obstacles. Demonstrates flexibility inside and outside of the department.
- Critical Thinking: Works independently and seeks solutions by using resources efficiently and effectively. Takes charge in the absence of detailed instructions.
- Innovation: Creates new ideas by thinking outside of the box and takes action to implement. Actively pursues growth and development by seeking and accepting feedback and learning from others.
- Project Management: Accomplishes tasks and submits work in a timely manner. Accepts responsibility for the outcome of one’s work and decisions made. Reports to work on scheduled days/times and attends required meetings, calls and other business obligations on time. Understands purposes, objectives, practices, and procedures of the department. Upholds Company policies, procedures, corporate governance and utilizes fair and consistent business practices.
- Problem Solving: Assembles all available facts and considers alternatives before making decisions. Is creative in formulating and implementing solutions to difficult issues. Makes wise, fair, and facts-based judgments and decisions.
- Embodying Taproot’s Values: Understands, communicates, and acts according to Taproot’s values.
Job Specific Performance Competencies (Outside of Core)
- Client Management/Service: Utilizes techniques required to develop, maintain, and manage trusting business relationships with clients and partner organizations. Delivers high quality service and identifies new opportunities.
- Consulting: Partners with clients to identify and resolve complex or sensitive issues.
- Attention to Detail: Carefully and thoroughly attends to details and pursues high quality when completing tasks.
- Verbal/Presentation: Conveys ideas and facts using language the audience will best understand. Formally delivers information to groups.
- Facilitation: Enables cooperative and productive group interactions.
- Deliverable Development: Able to identify both short-term and long-term objectives and set timelines for completion of objectives in a reasonable and logical order.
- Influencing/Persuading Others: Influences and persuades others to become or remain excited and committed to furthering Taproot’s objectives.
- Creativity/Innovation: Generates new ideas, challenges norms, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation, solves problems creatively.
- Coaching and Mentoring: Enables Co-Roots to grow and succeed through feedback, instruction, and encouragement.
- Comfort with Ambiguity: Ability to take action without having each and every detail, especially when presented a problem. Having confidence with making a good decision.
Annual salary starting at $63,000. This starting salary is reflective of a position based in Colorado and would be subject to a locality adjustment.
This is a remote position with some travel required. Taproot is accepting applications from candidates based anywhere in the continental United States.
Please use this link to apply: https://taprootfoundation.recruitee.com/o/consultant-advisory-services-6