350PDX’s mission is to build a diverse grassroots movement to address the causes of climate disruption through justice-based solutions by inspiring, training and mobilizing people to act. We are a relatively young, dynamic, volunteer-driven grassroots organization with thousands of supporters. We regularly engage hundreds of people to volunteer and/or take action. Our work is significant — the nation and world need compelling examples of communities that are addressing climate disruption head-on through bold and creative measures that bring diverse people together at a time of divisiveness and insufficient state and federal action.
The Communications Manager serves as a key member of our staff collective, overseeing and implementing our external communications, including email blasts, social media, web content, press relations, etc. They are active in donor fundraising efforts and assist in Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) work.
Oversight: This position is part of a peer-managed collective. This means we have no executive director or hierarchy within staff, and all staff members contribute to at least two management teams, which include personnel, finance, fundraising, JEDI, campaigns & partnerships, volunteer organizing, etc.
Location: 350PDX has been fully remote during the pandemic. With all staff vaccinated we are starting to do more things in person, and will be getting an office space in the coming months. Staff will have the choice whether to work from home or the office, with most staff likely doing a mix. As the pandemic eases and when it is safe to do so there will be an expectation that staff attend at least some meetings in person in the office in Portland, Oregon.
- Lead on developing and implementing an organization-wide communications plan, narrative strategy, and digital organizing strategy, including JEDI-focused narratives and storytelling
- Coordinate and oversee external communications, including email blasts, weekly or biweekly newsletter, social media, web content, press relations, etc
- Support and train staff, board, and volunteer teams on our communication strategies and practices
- Keep up to date with what is going on in our campaigns and programs in order to accurately communicate to our base
- Co-lead the Creative Team, a volunteer team that helps campaign teams develop story-based strategy and creates creative assets, which includes onboarding new volunteers to that team
- Serve as a spokesperson on behalf of 350PDX, and/or train volunteer, staff, and board members to serve as spokespeople, including writing letter-to-the-editor and op-eds.
- Manage relationships with press and traditional media outlets to achieve earned media hits
- Organize and maintain library of 350PDX photos and videos
- Spearhead composition & distribution of Annual Report
- Lead on evaluation and analytics of our communications and make appropriate improvements based on that evaluation
- Collaborate with the Development Manager with fundraising communications, including helping write appeals, email blasts, social media campaigns, etc., especially around the end of year fundraising appeal.
Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion (JEDI)
- Work with staff & JEDI Committee to guide, evaluate and implement 350PDX’s 2020 – 2022 Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Plan, specifically on JEDI-focused narratives and storytelling
- Works within peer management accountability structure to cultivate and maintain a culture of feedback, continuous improvement, and performance correction, as needed. Collaborates with peers and Personnel Team to set clear expectations and correct performance issues as needed by providing and receiving timely, clear, candid, actionable feedback in the moment and in regular peer management meetings
- Supports the recruitment and selection of staff and volunteers. Maintains familiarity with equitable hiring practices and targeted recruitment
- Helps develop and implement 350PDX’s Strategic Road Map and guides volunteer-led teams as they create their own roadmaps
- Supports organization-wide grassroots fundraising efforts; upholds a culture that celebrates and elevates fundraising
- Maintains a working knowledge of climate change issues and related social, political, legislative, regulatory and economic frameworks. Stays up to date on recent developments
- Experience with digital strategy in a social change advocacy context
- Experience writing compelling content for a variety of digital channels that moves audiences to action, including emails, social media content, web content
- Experience working with a fundraising team or collaborating on fundraising
- Maintains working knowledge of climate justice movement, current events, local politics, and campaigns that intersect with 350PDX’s mission
- Working knowledge of and strong commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and justice and equity
- Excellent organization skills, including ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
- Skilled in creating and implementing organizational policies and procedures; being attentive to various priorities while reaching consensus within a group
- Experience doing communications work which includes calls to action and event promotion
- Experience working with volunteers, including delegation and fostering volunteer leadership
- Experience with story-based strategy, or other strategic communications framework
- Experience with Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage
- Web design and graphic design skills
- Web development skills
- List hygiene and other more technical communication skills
- Have familiarity/experience with working in a collective/flat structure
- Speaks language(s) other than English, such as languages spoken by our frontline partners
- Experience with nonprofit management in small organizations
Compensation: This is a full-time position starting September 2021. The salary would be $46,800. Benefits include generous PTO, flexible work hours, professional development funds, and $300 towards company health insurance.
Please send your resume plus cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Communications Manager position’ to apply! Priority deadline is August 2 2021.
350PDX is committed to being an inclusive and collaborative group that values bringing a diversity of approaches and perspectives to the work we do. We try to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and members of communities on the frontlines of climate change are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
If you have suggestions for us, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at [email protected] with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.