Manager, Teacher Leadership Coaches (MTLC) are at the heart of Teach For America's work. You are an educator, advocate and systems change leader charged with developing and cultivating teachers’ leadership skills and mindsets to foster educational equity and excellence. You will coach corps members (CMs) towards expanding their perspectives and knowledge to go beyond traditional expectations to advance the academic and personal growth of their students. You will accomplish this through partnering with communities, students and families as well as the broader network of MTLC’s across the country. You will also support broader regional and organizational priorities, such as: selecting new corps members, and leading staff development.
MTLCs report to the Director, Teacher Leadership Coaching as a member of the Program Continuum Team.
We seek educators from diverse backgrounds with a passion and commitment to Teach For America’s mission and core values, drive for results, care for students, resilience, and humility. As a MTLC you will:
Coach Corps Members (80%)
Coach and empower corps members
- Set a clear vision of your work aligned to regional goals.
- Build trusting relationships with corps members in order to help them connect their values and beliefs to their work, stay centered on their classroom visions, and learn critical instructional and leadership skills.
- Plan, develop, and execute meaningful and powerful one-on-one coaching experiences with corps members.
- Utilize multiple stances of coaching including directive, facilitative, and transformational.
- Support CMs to set vision and academic goals and reflect throughout the year on progress towards them.
- Build understanding of CM partner schools’ assessment landscapes.
- Continually develop deep knowledge of effective teaching practices.
- Utilize diverse methods and tools to learn about the corps member’s experience and classroom.
- Collaborate with school leaders, as necessary to support corps members in their development.
Contribute to region-wide CM Development
- Develop and execute portions of our All Community Gatherings.
- Partner with other coaches in learning and team spaces to advance our collective work.
- Reflect regularly around progress towards regional goals.
Lead with a commitment to diversity, equity & inclusiveness
- Deepen your understanding of your own identity by engaging in personal development around diversity, equity and inclusiveness.
- Coach corps members around diversity, equity and inclusiveness, to ensure they are making progress in their development and integrating equitable practices in their classrooms.
- Build meaningful relationships with school level staff, administration and people in the community that may offer differing perspectives, to build a culture that celebrates unique contributions and unites people around shared values and common purpose.
Fulfilling our Mission through Organization and Regional Priorities (20%)
- Participate in or lead team-wide initiatives that align with our regional priorities and strategies.
- Attend and participate in functional team meetings, all staff meetings, and committees
- Participate in matriculation and selection commitments
- Act as a positive and inclusive team-wide culture leader
- Minimum of four years of work experience, with at least three years of experience achieving ambitious outcomes as a classroom teacher in a low-income community.
- Experience coaching adults.
- Occasional weekends and evenings.
- Independent travel to multiple school sites throughout the day that may be significant distances from one another.
- When faced with obstacles, you deepen resolve, adapt, and persist with optimism.
- You build strong and trusting relationships with diverse stakeholders
- You demonstrate resilience in the face of challenges, and you are committed to coaching corps members to do the same.
- You have the ability to engage in difficult conversations.
- You know how to zero in on the main issues and prioritize accordingly with strong solutions.
- You constantly reflect and work to grow and improve.