As a member of the Corpsmember Academy faculty team, the English Language Learner Teacher, will be responsible to design, deliver and evaluate creative, transformational English Language Learner education for vulnerable youth and to oversee the EL program.
- Design and deliver creative, participatory instruction to English Language Learners, in small groups using a variety of methodologies to address multiple learning styles.
- Plan rigorous lessons that are tied to student learning outcomes and standards.
- Utilize a variety formative and summative assessment methods to monitor student progress including standardized testing, tests and quizzes, observation of performance tasks, interviews, rubrics and portfolio completions.
- Use data to inform instruction and planning.
- Work closely with teaching staff to collaborate on lesson planning for EL students.
Assessment and Accountability
- ELPAC administration and monitoring
- Ensure EL requirements are met for state reporting in CalPads and via ELPAC coordination
- Responsible for quarterly student progress reports by collaborating with teaching team.
- Collaborate with Program Specialist to record student attendance and progress.
- Refer students for special academic, personal and vocational services as needed.
- Assist with projects outside the classroom to enhance community building and celebrations such as monthly cultural awareness programs and graduations.
- Participate in faculty committees and activities to integrate student vocational and academic learning.
- Contribute special talents and interests to broaden the experience of youth in the Corpsmember Academy
Desired Education and/or Experience
- California Teaching credential with CLAD
- Resource Specialist and/or Special Education background a plus
- Fluency in a second language is helpful
- Commitment to serving the East Bay community as well as an interest in stewardship for the environment and working with urban youth.
- Understand how to effectively engage disconnected youth with content that is meaningful and relevant.
- Recognize the barriers to success faced by 18-26 year olds without a high school diploma.
- Strong and open communication with students and staff.
- 1:1 mentoring skills.
- Commitment to maintaining a positive and productive work environment.
- Ability to model professionalism and demonstrate systems of organization to students.
- Appreciation for and ability to create a differentiated learning experience that meets the needs of all learners.
- Flexible and adaptable to change and/or ability to acquire the necessary skills to work in a creative and demanding learning environment including the ability to problem-solve and manage ambiguity and adversity.
- Ability to work in an open, fast-paced, nontraditional agency under high pressure and deadlines.
- Computer literate and enthusiasm for integration of technology in the learning environment.
- Demonstrated skill in developing positive working relationships with vulnerable young adult students.
- Awareness of, and familiarity with, California State standards for secondary education.
- Demonstrated ability to design, deliver and evaluate curriculum to meet needs of students with multiple learning styles, language skills, literacy levels and interests.
- Dedication to working closely and cooperatively in a community-based organization with diverse staff, students, families and/or partnerships.
- Ability to provide leadership and serve as a mentor.
- Sense of humor, high ethical professional standards, multicultural perspective and deep enjoyment of teaching.
$25 - $30 per hour dependent on experience.
Civicorps has a culture of caring for each other, personally and professionally. We enjoy a working environment that includes on-going staff activities, numerous health and wellness programs, employee recognition programs, and much more.
Civicorps offers a competitive employee benefits package including
- Health and Wellness Activities
- Flexible Spending Account for Health/Child Care
- Professional Development
- Free Parking (close to BART and Jack London Square)
HIRING PROCESS: Please provide a cover letter, resume or CV. Application materials that do not reference this specific position will not be considered. No Phone Calls Please.
For More Information:
Visit the Civicorps website: http://www.cvcorps.org/about-civicorps/job-opportunities/