ABOUT PROTEUS FUND
Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer and disability justice, and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking. Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories. Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners. Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives which play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund, and its affiliated 501c4 organization, the Proteus Action League, have distributed $280 million in grants, and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level. Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City, with staff based across the entire United States.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for financial accounting and reporting for Proteus Fund (PF) and Proteus Action League (PAL) to internal and external stakeholders. They analyze accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department, make corrections as needed and provide guidance to staff. Additionally, they will assist the controller and accounting manager in providing overall quality assurance of financial data and financial systems. They provide guidance to organization directors on program financial matters.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) U.S.-based remote position based on Eastern Standard Time.
Proteus Fund welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ, women, non-binary people, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
- Analyze accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department and according to GAAP, make corrections as needed and provide guidance to staff.
- Assist the controller and accounting manager in providing overall quality assurance of financial data and financial systems.
- Produce and analyze financial reports to internal stakeholders and provide explanation and guidance on meeting program financial objectives.
- Produce financial reports to program funders in accordance with internal and funder guidelines.
- Designated day to day go-to for financial expertise for specified departments, providing guidance and training on financial matters, and discussing goals and accuracy of program financials.
- Provide quality assurance such as periodic review of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll records to ensure accuracy.
- Implement monthly and annual closing process.
- Assist in coordination of the annual budget process for designated departments.
- Create financial models and reports as required.
- Assist with special projects and audits as needed.
- Support Finance team in reviewing work products such as accounts payable and journal entries and standing in as back-up for team responsibilities as needed.
- Collaborate on projects, workflow assessments, and efficiency improvements.
The Senior Accountant will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent number of years of experience, plus five years of accounting experience with at least two of those years in a nonprofit setting.
- Experience in producing and analyzing financial reports and providing explanation to key stakeholders.
- Experience in creating financial models and monthly and annual closing processes as well as assisting with the annual budget and audit process.
- The ability to juggle competing demands and prioritize without sacrificing quality.
- Experience and comfort leveraging technology, with at least intermediate working knowledge of Excel and accounting software systems.
- Capability and comfort communicating detailed information to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- The ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion and integrity.
Additional requirements and experience include:
- Non-profit financial accounting, reporting, and compliance. Experience in generating financial statements, statements of financial position, expenses, cash flows, balance sheets, monthly reports using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Attention to detail and organization. Thoroughness, accuracy, and consistency when accomplishing accounting tasks. Monitors and checks work to verify financial data is correct. Keeps financial information and other data as organized as possible, helping streamline operations, reduce the risk of errors, and ensure data is easily found.
- Problem Solving. Ability to identify, analyze and offer solutions in an accounting setting, such as working with statements, reports, audit data.
- Analysis and Interpretation. Ability to systematically and critically examine financial statements and other similar documents to establish the cause-and-effect relationship among the various items. The ability to determine how accounting standards should be applied.
Alignment to Culture and Values
- Commitment to vision and mission of Proteus Fund as a progressive social justice organization
- Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong relationship building skills, high ethical standards, discretion, and tact
- Personal qualities of humility and empathy
The starting salary for this role is $73,934 to $89,460 and is based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, geographic location, skill set level, years of previous/applicable experience, and Proteus Fund's commitment to ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team will share more details regarding salary bands based on the candidate's specific geographic location as well as the other factors noted above. Salary is one part of the total compensation that Proteus Fund provides to employees.
Proteus Fund is committed to ensuring that its employees are supported holistically, from compensation, benefits, and resources to an enriching work environment and collaborative culture. Proteus Fund leads the market in a number of its offerings, including a sector-leading retirement plan contribution and benefits package. The recruiting team will share more information regarding this commitment and offerings.
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
- Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
- Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Fifteen paid holidays
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Life insurance
- Paid family leave, short-term, and long-term disability
For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume by February 23, 2023 to: https://proteus-fund-inc.checkwritersrecruit.com/job/554311/senior-accou...
A cover letter indicating your interest in Proteus Fund must be included. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Proteus Fund believes that one of the greatest strengths of an organization is the rich diversity of its staff and board and is committed to providing equal employment and promotional opportunities based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under the law. Proteus Fund’s policies and practices are to reflect Proteus Fund’s commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.
Proteus Fund is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or 413-256-0349 option 3. Additionally, throughout this document, use of the pronoun “they” is intended to be inclusive of humans who identify as non-binary as well as those of gender expansive identities and experiences.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Please note, in an effort to maintain and safeguard staff's health, well-being, and safety, Proteus Fund requires all staff to be vaccinated prior to their employment and to adhere to the regular upkeep of COVID-19 vaccination requirements as per CDC recommendations while employed. Proof of the CDC recommended level of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with Proteus Fund.