WPF seeks an Evaluation Officer to join its Evaluation team. The Evaluation Officer will be based in New York City or Washington DC. The Evaluation Officer will work with the Director of Evaluation and Program staff to develop and implement high quality, credible evaluations and measurement that will help understand strategic progress and inform strategic learning and adaptations. This role will initially focus on supporting the Racial Justice and the Economic Justice Programs with their evaluations.
About Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF) is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and the effective advancement of social justice for all people. We ground our work in our respect for the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and we prioritize the advancement of racial, gender, and economic justice across all our programs. Through domestic and international grantmaking, Wellspring strives to cultivate accountable social systems and structures that uphold human dignity, strengthen agency, and advance equity for all people, and to contribute to making real change that matters. As responsible stewards, we strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments and make a tangible difference in shifting conditions that materially affect people’s lives. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY and Washington, DC.
For more information, please visit https://wpfund.org/.
The Economic Justice Program (EJP) seeks to transform our economic systems, cultural norms, and beliefs so we can build an economy where all Americans can meet their basic needs, realize their aspirations, and live in dignity. The EJP strategy invests in building a durable, multi-racial economic justice movement to address the underlying forces fueling economic inequality: unrivaled corporate power and financialization of the economy, declining worker power and growth of low-quality jobs, and the political and cultural ideologies that serve to condone and rationalize a neo-liberal economic system that leaves millions of Americans desperately struggling to get by in the wake of soaring income inequality.
The Racial Justice Program (RJP) seeks to confront and dismantle entrenched racism and related systems of oppression and build a racially just society in which Black people, in all their diversity, experience liberation, safety, and dignity. The RJP is committed to amplifying the expertise and agency of the people most impacted by racial injustice while cultivating social systems and conditions in which historically marginalized people will thrive. Because white supremacy and structural racism crosscut struggles led by marginalized groups, the RJP believes that focusing on anti-Black racism benefits and empowers a broad community of oppressed people, cultivates intersectional solidarity, and improves conditions for all.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional competencies:
Cross Departmental Collaboration
• Provide guidance and support to determine and prioritize evaluation needs.
• Work collaboratively with Program staff to effectively and efficiently integrate
evaluation and evaluative thinking throughout the implementation of the strategic plan.
• Contribute to strategic learning activities by ensuring that learnings from completed
evaluations are utilized and that subsequent evaluations address emerging learning and
• Collaborate with Wellspring’s Grants Management, Communications and other teams
for joint efforts related to evaluation and learning.
• Participate in internal Wellspring taskforces and working groups as needed.
Select, Manage and Partner with External Consultants
• Manage the engagement of external evaluation consultants and researchers and ensure high-quality deliverables.
• Facilitate and ensure optimal utilization of evaluation findings and support internal and external dissemination when appropriate.
• Support other types of data analysis and research activities as needed.
Contribute Evaluation Subject Matter Expertise
• Stay current on state of evaluations in philanthropy and beyond, in context of Wellspring’s approach and position.
• Remain well connected through field events and external affinity groups
• Work closely with Program staff to articulate evaluation objectives and questions, and to recommend and select rigorous yet right-sized evaluation design and methodology.
• Draft and disseminate requests for proposals and select best qualified evaluation consultants in collaboration with Program staff.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Qualifications
• 7-10 years of experience in evaluation, research, and/or measurement.
• Advanced degree in related fields preferred, OR equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of various evaluation methodologies and their
• Experience and ability to develop, commission, and manage external evaluations.
• Experience with conducting and/or managing evaluations on racial justice and/or
economic justice issues is strongly preferred. In particular, experience with grassroots organizing, base building, power building, and/or narrative change would be valuable asset in this role.
• Demonstrated understanding that evaluation is done “with”, not “to” and that evaluation needs to be rigorous and systematic while also being flexible and supportive.
• Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to cultivate trusting working relationships. Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and interests and a range of work styles; able to productively shape dialogues, convene, and manage differences.
• Good judgment with a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to meet deadlines and independently follow up and follow through.
• Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
• Administratively self-sufficient.
• Able to travel on an occasional basis in the U.S. and internationally.
• Experience with the philanthropic sector is preferred but not required.
• Commitment to Wellspring’s core values, mission, and principles.
• Understands and values social justice, including racial and gender equity as an organizational operating principle – and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, gender, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for the role is from $112,000-$130,000 commensurate with experience.
Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment or college savings assistance for qualified dependents, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
Application and Timeline
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position. The application deadline is October 27, 2023 and applications received by that date will be given priority but we will continue recruiting until the position is filled. Zoom interviews with the Koya team will take place through late October. Zoom interviews with the WPF hiring committee will take place through November-December.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Karen Yetman Rea and Nikki Lynch are leading the search. You can express interest in this role by filling out our Talent Profile: https://apptrkr.com/4793470. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email [email protected]. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
NOTE: All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire to be considered for this position.
Wellspring’s Institutional Culture of Respect, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcomes such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity and inclusion that we seek through our work to amplify in the larger world.
Wellspring hires, promotes, and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundations’ service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, domestic violence victim/survivor status, height, weight, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior arrest or criminal conviction records, as well as educational attainment.)
This role is expected to work from the WPF NY office or DC office on a hybrid schedule. Staff are required to be fully vaccinated and to work from the office Tuesday - Thursday and have the option to work remotely Monday and Friday.