The Director of National Campaign will report to and work collaboratively with the Vice President, Campaigns and Capacity Building to execute a well-planned fundraising campaign titled Elevate: The Campaign for Audubon. The Director of National Campaign will drive day-to-day activity of this multi faceted, multi-year initiative. The role entails working closely with Audubon’s esteemed executive team, including National Audubon President and Chief Executive Officer, Chief Conservation Officer, Chief Network Officer, and Chief Development Officer. The incumbent will also work closely with nation-wide development colleagues, conservation staff, and members of the Board of Trustees who will serve as campaign volunteers.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, self-directed leader who brings experience working on large, multi-faceted campaigns with complex gift strategies. The incumbent will naturally integrate Audubon’s relationship-based core areas: people, possibility, and propensity in every task. The Director will be a steady, collaborative, team player who is able to pivot, problem-solve, and thrive in a dynamic and complex environment. The ideal candidate will have experience navigating competing priorities, while maintaining professionalism, diplomacy, good judgement and gravitas.
Audubon has retained Advancement Incite to assist with recruitment for this position. Candidates must provide a cover letter, resume, and list of three references. All materials will be kept confidential.
- Partner with the Vice President, Campaigns and Capacity Building on the day-to-day execution of the campaign plan.
- Mobilize, manage, and support the work of an expanding, activated, campaign committee.
- Drive and track campaign donor pipeline movement, donor proposals, and implementation of stewardship plans providing timely, real-time reports and dashboards for colleagues across the organization.
- Bolster the work of gift officers with customized cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for top campaign prospects.
- Work closely with Development Services to prioritize donor research and draft donor profiles and briefing memos.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate progress to goals and with the guidance of the VP, Campaigns and Capacity Building, devise course corrections as necessary.
- With the Northeast Vice President Development and Events, design and support the execution of small cultivation events as a way to leverage volunteer leader networks and activate new campaign prospects.
- Coproduce strategy and implementation for campaign events designed to activate and reinforce Audubon’s volunteer network.
- Coordinate with Development Communications and Conservation teams in creating briefing materials, proposals and stewardship reports.
- Design and maintain a comprehensive campaign dashboard of fundraising data, timelines, and projections, that clearly demonstrates progress against goals, strategy revisions, and achievement of key milestones.
- Support the recruitment and activation of campaign volunteers through the development and management of individualized fundraising plans and regular group meetings.
- Communicate effectively with nation-wide volunteers and colleagues, taking into consideration the varying dynamics and perspectives of regional cultures, interests, and unique challenges.
- Participate in national campaign committee meetings and events, live or by teleconference.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising that includes campaign planning and/or execution.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills with a proven record of sustaining effective relationships with senior leaders, colleagues, trustees, and external stakeholders.
- Experience partnering with organizational leadership on the design and execution of 6- and 7-figure gift strategies.
- Strong project management skills with an eye for detail, meeting deadlines, and reporting progress toward goals.
- Ability to set a strategic course of action, prioritize tasks, and pursue accountability in a professional, and effective manner.
- Ability to work with nation-wide colleagues using remote technologies.
- Proficiency in the use of technology and data analytics including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Database management experience required; Salesforce preferred.