Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, The Center for Nonprofit Management (CNM) is a capacity builder that amplifies the impact of nonprofits and their partners through business advisory programs and services such as education, consulting, peer-to-peer learning opportunities, and special events. Originally a program of the United Way of Middle Tennessee, and officially established as a stand-alone nonprofit organization in 1992, CNM serves as a multi-faceted resource for nonprofit executives and staff. For more than thirty-five years, CNM has worked to connect nonprofits and to be the catalyst for collective impact in the community. Through its programs, CNM has strived to help nonprofits build and sustain successful business models, strengthen their organizational backbone, and ultimately increase the impact of their mission. We envision a connected community equipped to realize its greatest opportunities.
CNM is navigating a leadership transition following the retirement of its President and CEO earlier this year. CNM’s board of directors determined that it was in the best interest of the organization to engage an interim President and CEO to manage the organization during this transition period pending a decision by the board to seek and identify the permanent successor. The board prioritized the need for a thorough assessment of CNM’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to inform the experience and skills required for a permanent CEO. Among other things, this assessment included financial health, staff and organizational health, and appropriate input from external constituencies such as CNM’s members, foundation and corporate funders, and government partners.
As President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of CNM, you will be stepping into a critical leadership role. This is a unique opportunity to lead our organization in its next chapter of evolution, ensuring its long-term sustainability and impact. The ideal candidate will possess a strategic mindset, exceptional leadership skills, and a proven track record in driving successful transformations within the nonprofit sector.
- Develop and articulate a compelling vision and mission for the organization, aligned with its core values and strategic objectives.
- Lead the creation of a comprehensive mission focused strategy, outlining actionable steps to address existing opportunities for future growth.
- Collaborate with the board of directors, providing regular updates and seeking their input in shaping the organization's strategic direction.
- Conduct a thorough review of the organization's current state, focusing on identified areas of inefficiency, financial strain, and programmatic gaps.
- Implement necessary changes, redesigning processes, and structures to optimize efficiency, streamline operations, and enhance the overall impact.
- Foster a culture of innovation, continuous improvement, and adaptability throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and systems to enhance organizational efficiency, transparency, and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the outsourced financial management system, ensuring prudent financial practices, budget adherence, and resource allocation to support the t advancement plan.
- Identify new revenue streams, diversifying funding sources through earned revenue, grants, partnerships, foundations, corporate and individual investments.
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and regularly monitor financial performance against targets.
Fundraising and Partnerships:
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and advocate for the organization, effectively communicating its mission, impact, and value to various stakeholders, including corporations, governmental agencies, community partners and the public.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with existing donors while actively seeking new funding opportunities.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to build strategic partnerships that can enhance the organization's reach and impact.
Talent Development and Team Building:
- Assemble and develop a high-performing team, fostering a culture of excellence, collaboration, and accountability.
- Provide mentorship and professional development opportunities for staff, enabling them to thrive in their roles and contribute effectively to the organization's objectives.
- Work closely with the board of directors, providing regular updates on organizational performance, financials, and major initiatives.
- Work closely with the board of directors to establish a shared vision, set strategic priorities, and ensure good governance practices.
- Support board recruitment, orientation, and ongoing development, providing regular reports and updates on organizational performance, financials, and impact.
- Collaborate with the board to develop and implement policies that promote ethical conduct, transparency, and accountability throughout the organization.
- At least [6-8] years of experience serving as a CEO, Executive Director, or Senior Executive in a business, governmental or nonprofit organization, with a track record of driving successful strategic transformation and achieving results.
- In-depth knowledge of nonprofit management, governance, and fundraising practices.
- Strong financial acumen and experience in budget development and financial oversight.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills, with the ability to inspire and engage diverse stakeholders.
- Extensive people management experience, with a demonstrated ability to attract, develop and retain talent and effectively manage and motivate a team.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strategic partnerships within the nonprofit sector and beyond.
- Strategic thinker with the capacity to envision and lead organizational growth.
- Experience working in a visible community role and serving as an organizational spokesperson to varied stakeholders.
- Experience in fundraising with the proven ability to build relationships, inspire donors and community partners and seek new sources of funding.
- Passion for the organization's mission and values, including diversity, equity and inclusion, and a commitment to making a positive impact in the community.
- An educational background appropriate for the position, including a college degree; advanced educational degrees may be relevant but are not required.
- Commitment to adhering to the highest standards of ethics and integrity as a representative of CNM and the nonprofit community.
- Passion for taking on the responsibilities outlined for the CEO position and the ability and willingness to devote full-time to the position onsite in CNM’s offices.
This CEO role presents a unique opportunity to envision and lead our nonprofit management organization into its next chapter, making a profound difference in the lives of those we serve. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in elevating the organization's mission, driving it towards a sustainable and successful future. If you have the passion, expertise, and leadership acumen necessary to undertake this challenging and rewarding role, we encourage you to apply.
While the exact salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, the range for this position is $125,000-$150,000. The FLSA status is full time and exempt. Additionally, CNM offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, disability insurance and retirement planning options.
If you are excited about the opportunity to lead CNM into a new era of growth and impact, we encourage you to apply by September 22, 2023. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and passion for the organization's mission to [email protected].