This AmeriCorps position serves with The Nature Conservancy over an 11-month period to advance our work in improving private and public lands, providing education and training in stewardship and environmental practices, and growing our volunteer support. They will be responsible for a variety of operations activities in support of NY Division Stewardship Program, with the opportunity to collaborate in outreach, volunteer programs and community engagement with other offices in the state.
The Volunteer Program Coordinator will be responsible for performing multiple administrative functions related to the assigned program including:
- Scheduling and coordinating logistics for special events and/or meetings;
- Maintaining preserve areas frequented by the visiting public;
- May maintain and operate tools and equipment (with training) in a safe and efficient manner while taking appropriate care of equipment (e.g. lawn mower, chain saw, tractor, two-way radio, fire management equipment, etc;
- Assisting with monitoring visits to preserves;
- Manage communications, planning, outreach, and engagement with volunteer stewards and with various environmental outreach programs;
- Collaborate with teachers, chaperones, and large groups of children in natural settings;
- Coordinating projects with several variables, setting realistic deadlines and managing a timeline;
- Assisting in the development of interpretive materials, program materials and correspondence; and
- Making day-to-day decisions within the scope of service assignments.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Recruit, train and manage community volunteers;
- Perform duties under general supervision and established guidelines;
- Coordinate with vendors/other parties to execute projects/deliverables;
- Demonstrate common sense, flexibility and teamwork with ability to exercise independent judgment;
- Make day-to-day decisions within the scope of service assignments and prioritize service independently;
- Identify routine problems and utilize existing resources for resolution, referring difficult questions and problems to supervisor;
- Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information;
- Financial responsibility may include purchasing, processing invoices, contracting with vendors, and assisting with budget tracking;
- Serve as a team member for assigned projects;
- May serve in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstance.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the geography assigned;
- U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or Lawful Permanent Resident;
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Satisfy the National Service Criminal History check eligibility criteria;
- Experience with written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with MS Office;
- Experience following instructions from colleagues;
- Commitment to complete 11 months as AmeriCorps member;
- Experience with organizational skills and managing diverse activities to meet deadlines;
- A valid Driver’s License.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated;
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred;
- Interest in the mission and activities of The Nature Conservancy;
- Ability to write and edit written materials for use with program communications and special events;
- Database skills, including managing and tracking data, and producing reports;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs which take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters, conservation and more. AmeriCorps members make people safer, stronger, healthier; to strengthen communities and to Get Things Done for America. This position is rewarded by: a monthly stipend, health and child care, student loan deferment, an education award and not to mention, new skills and training to help build career opportunities.