Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our legal system.
MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
MLSA is an equal opportunity employer and we consider the diversity of our staff to be vital to our organization's success. We strongly encourage and welcome people of all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, ages, genders, and physical abilities to apply.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
- Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
- Our attorneys work within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
- We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Location: You’ll be based in Missoula, Montana, made famous by A River Runs Through It. The outdoor recreational opportunities are limitless. Whether you’re getting ready to hike, bike, trail run, or explore other outdoor activities, the AllTrails app shows 67 scenic trails in the Missoula area. Missoula is rich in arts and culture and entertainment in Missoula isn’t hard to find. There is always something going on and the venues to check out include the Wilma, Top Hat, KettleHouse Amphitheater, and Dennison Theatre. Find a place to grab a beer, bite to eat, sip a cocktail on a riverside deck or dance the night away to live, local music – downtown Missoula is the place to be. Also, check out Rockin Rudy’s – you’ll thank us later.
Why Should You Apply?
- Live your values and put your law degree to work by representing people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
- Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
- Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
- The chance to hone your litigation skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
How to Apply: Submit a resume, cover letter, 3 references, and a writing sample to our posting on Bamboo. Apply here Screening of applicants is ongoing and the position will remain open until filled. The priority deadline for applications is October 17, 2022.
Visit our website to learn more about MLSA, our staff, and the work we do.
- Represent domestic and sexual violence victims statewide with a focus on rural populations and American Indian Reservations in Western Montana.
- Interview, meet with, advise, and represent eligible clients in civil matters.
- Handle all aspects of legal representation including client contact, pleading preparation, research, file maintenance, hearing and trial work.
- Work primarily in the area of family law, but may also assist with other poverty law issues including consumer, housing, employment, public benefits, and probate for domestic and sexual violence survivors.
- Hold regular office hours as required in communities that may be assigned based on grant funding.
- A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
- Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
- Overnight and day travel to surrounding communities is required as needed.
- A willingness to assume a varied case load.
- An understanding of the civil legal needs of low-income people, including the unique needs of populations that experience particular barriers to access to justice systems.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney to be based in MLSA’s Missoula office. The pay we’re offering is $55,000 and up, depending on experience.
- MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account which we contribute $1,250 pro-rated based upon start date.
- Eligible at 6 months of employment – we provide student loan repayment assistance - $2,400 for an attorney.
- We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
- And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).